My wardriving gear - Apple iBook

The gear needed for wardriving

39 posts • Page 1 of 3

Postby chaffed » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:39 pm

I'm running an Apple iBook 1.3Ghz.

Using a Syntax USB-400 USB adapter with kisMAC for passive mode.

My Garmin eTrex Venture provides GPS coords via a Keyspan USA-19QW Serial to USB adapter

Currently I am running OS X 10.3.7 with keyspan drivers 1.8, kisMAC x0.12a. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Postby pejacoby » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:04 am

Looks like a nice setup -- I seldom use my iBook G3 for driving, though I should.

Have you had better luck with the USB dongle than the Airport card (assuming you have one built-in)?

Running with my original Airport card, standing in my kitchen running Kismac 0.12a I can pick up 3 or 4 weak APs that my iPaq 5450 usually doesn't see.

Postby chaffed » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:21 am

Okay I feel a little dumb right now so bear with me :lol:

The dongle gives me the ability to see hidden networks among other things :twisted: :wink:

Also the range on it seems to be as good if not better than the builtin airport card.

I have to admit wardriving is so much more fun now. My poor old vaio superslim was fun but the ibook is way too much fun :D

Postby Sith4dmin » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:54 pm

I'm glad to see you found a USB NIC that not only has an Intersil chipset but also has decent performance specs. I'd never even heard of Syntax wireless networking hardware, nor did I come upon it in the research I did for the recommendation I made in that email I sent you around the beginning of the month. The only major downside to your choice is that the only way you could connect an external antenna to it would be to do some hardcore hacking and soldering, and without being able to get your reception outside of the vehicle you'll only be able to pick up a fraction of what you would otherwise. Glad to see you're enjoying yourself though.

Postby chaffed » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:22 pm

An interesting suggestion I read a few days ago was to use a USB extension cable. Though it's not a true antenna it would get the dongle outside the car. Also I could only do this in favorable weather.

I'm pretty impressed with the range of the dongle. It pickups networks at about 800ft line of sight sitting inside my car. I actually pickup my neighbors wireless network from about 1200ft LoS. However that's the only other network I can actually measure distance with (I installed the AP for them).

Postby davsch » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:33 am

I have been using the following:
800 G3
kismac/macstumbler/istumbler
D-link DWL-122 usb 820.11b adapter w/6 ft extension cable
Rayming Tripnav TN-200 usb w/ 6ft extension cable

The extensions let me put the ibook on the floor behind the front seats, so I won't be tempted to watch the screen while driving.

I'm still looking for someone that has hacked the DWL to add an external antenna jack. I don't have the skillz to be the first.

Postby chaffed » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:33 am

Well how about if I figure out a way to modify the syntax adapter? They can be had for $10 before shipping.

Maybe I'll buy another and put my soldering gun to work. Of course I have little experience with this stuff. That last antenna I modified with a linksys wpc11 v1.0 pc card. I can't imagine it will be that much more difficult. :lol:

Postby ax0n » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:58 pm

Looks Good, Steve!!!

I kind of miss using my powerbook for 'driving, but it would lock up once in a while, and it got really hot. KisMAC is definitely the premiere world-class wireless discovery app for OSX.

Postby chaffed » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:00 pm

Yes kismac works so well it scares me sometimes. It's so pretty but just as functional as kismet :lol:

About my syntax adapter. I feel stupid. I can't get it open. This is a first. I'm really good at taking things apart (don't ask about putting them back together ). :lol:

Anyways I'm guessing it's glued together. That means I have to dig out the trusty heat gun. I hope I don't break it :shock:

Postby crispin3d » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:28 am

i am definately a newb i am new to macs also.. i am using a ibook g4 with macstumbler and kismac.. i am wanting to get a usb wifi dongle i saw the syntax one and was just wondering which driver to use for the syntax dongle

thanks
crispin

Postby chaffed » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:44 am

I don't know too mcyh more than you. There's a generic Prism 2 USB driver included with Kismac. You can find it in the preferences under drivers.

I'll try to get you more info when I'm sitting down in front of my iBook.

Postby robbo007 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:37 pm

Hello all,

New to MAC so excuse my ignorance. Why does the built in Airport card not work Passive Mode? I use a new iBook g4 purchased this year in Europe. I am currently in Spain.

Do I need to buy another wifi card to enter into passive mode with KisMAC?

Thanks,

Rob

Postby chaffed » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:45 pm

The reason the Airport (Express) does not work is there are no drivers that support passive mode. Also I believe that there are not any docs about the chipset. At least publically available ones.

Yes you'l need another network adapter to scan in passive mode. However the fun part is KisMac scans using both interfaces.

I'm using a Syntax USB-400 802.11b addapter. This works perfectly in passive mode. This model can be had for $14-20 USD. You'll have to do some work to find one for a fair price in europe.

Postby robbo007 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:17 am

Thanks for the reply. Trouble is in europe its all 802.11g. Anyone in Europe using a G4 iBOOk and KisMAC? What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Rob

Postby Schwa-D-Alien » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:31 am

802.11b adaptors will detect 802.11g networks, they just can't communicate with them at the higher rates like a g adaptor would. They share the same frequencies (channels) and are backwards compatible so your old gear doesn't become instantly useless. 802.11a networks use another frequency spectrum entirely so they are not detectable with regular b/g cards at all, but a is also much more rare.

39 posts • Page 1 of 3

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”