Max size of uploads?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby argh » Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm

I've bumped into it a few times, but I never knew what the line was. For me, the largest files are usually Kismet *.gps files. Some gzipped are still too large. I often break them up so they won't be so big individually.

Postby whitedice » Sat May 10, 2008 11:58 pm

I've bumped into it a few times, but I never knew what the line was. For me, the largest files are usually Kismet *.gps files. Some gzipped are still too large. I often break them up so they won't be so big individually.
Has to less than 100 million bytes. 100 MB files are too big. If you gzip multiple files, and any are more than 100 million bytes, it will error the entire upload. You have to break them down before uploading zipped or not. Definitley should zip or gzip any files you want to upload, because it drastically cuts down upload size and time.

Postby unforsaken » Fri May 16, 2008 2:22 pm

You have to break them down before uploading zipped or not.
Not paying attention, I managed to drive a 150 meg gps file last night... Is there any 'good' way to break it down for upload? Thanks

Postby whitedice » Fri May 16, 2008 4:39 pm

You have to break them down before uploading zipped or not.
Not paying attention, I managed to drive a 150 meg gps file last night... Is there any 'good' way to break it down for upload? Thanks
Taken from a post I made in NetStumbler.org forum:

This is the way I do it, which works.
If you can get the file to open in a text editor, though Notepad and Wordpad in XP struggle. All you need to do to get it to work, is to copy the first 7 lines up to "</network-file>", then the last line "</gps-run>" into a new file. Then cut & paste a section of the <gps-point> tags, so that when each file is saved they are less than 100MBs (I usually add a,b,c to the ends of the file names to distinguish what I've done). Strangely enough, the only program I could get to open the *.gps file with little problems is CuteFTP Pro's built in text editor. I had one file which was 209MB. I ended up having to split it into 3 files.

Mark57 posted later in the forum saying he does it this way, but uses a program called UltraEdit.

Postby unforsaken » Fri May 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks, I had poked around here but haven't been to NS in quite some time. This will definitely come in handy when I fail to notice I've been driving for 5+ hours =)

Postby Petzl » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:01 am

does wigle need the GPS file for processing ?

the csv also contains gps data

Postby Dutch » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 am

The gps file contains all the locations that networks has been observed at, and supplies additional data to the black-box run by interns, which triangulates the little blue dots.

Furthermore, since the csv and the xml files gets rewritten upon every save cycle, any clients which has been observed and been assimilated into their respective network aren't listed. The gps file is not rewritten at every savecycle, but appended to, so these clients are listed with their BSSID and therefore counts as networks.

Personally I upload csv, xml and gps files.

Dutch

Postby whitedice » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:19 am

Depending on how your equipment is capturing, you could have hundreds of unclaimed points in your GPS files. Either that, or you may upload your GPS file, and it could take an hour to process, and you may only get credit for 3 or 4 new points. I can't tell you why it is one way or the other, but I've experienced both.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”