Questions and advice on wigle project

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

1 post • Page 1 of 1
Hello.

I am kind of new to wigle, I uploaded around 2000 new points with Android app, I find it interesting.
I did notice some things that I think can be improved, I may be wrong on some:

The watermark on the map images "wigle.net" looks too similar with an access point marking/text. Can't that watermark be made a faded gray just to be visible but less intrusive ?
Because I assume the purpose is to identify any map image usage as coming from wiggle.net and NOT a brand promotion purpose (like a large ad).

The map images delivery is very slow from Europe, I see images come from https://wigle.net/images , I don't think that is optimal; you could:
- deliver them from a domain without cookies like img.wigle.net
- use a caching server on that same domain
- use a faster server like nginx for images domain
- deliver images from 2-3 servers like us-img.wigle.net eu-img.wigle.net and auto-detect or let user select their closest region.
- quickest way but more expensive, setup a content delivery network for it, like Amazon Cloud Front and just deliver them from cdn.wigle.net'
- I think with current setup the map images are not cached in browser, I remember I fixed this once for one of my sites and made a huge difference on server load, server traffic and load speed for user.
1 post • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”