Wigle WiFi Android -> how it works?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby kripl » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Hello world,

I have several questions about the Wigle WiFi app and it's workings:
- does it perform active or passive scanning?
- what kinds of packets does it listen to? What does it transmit?
- what is the channel hopping configuration? which channels? What is hopping rate?
- is it possible to identify hidden SSID APs using this app?

Some documentation about the app would be nice- I checked the DefCon talk (android part), but it did not answer my questions.
If realy no-one can answer this questions easily, can you at least point me to which parts of code to look at (not experienced with Android)?

And it's my first time posting here, so let me know if I'm asking in the wrong place or something like that.
Hi there!

We rely on the Android API - so we're a passive scanning tool, and OS- and API-mediated.
The rate varies by device, OS version, and driver (we work on a lot of hardware!).
Since the android API doesn't expose raw packet information, you likely won't be catching any hidden networks with WiGLE WiFi Wardriving.

If you want to dig into how WiWiWa handles data, you can grab your own CSVs from your device, export individual stumbles KML if you upload, of course your device-local SQLite database puts *everything* we store at your fingertips!

On the server-side, we don't accept or process packet data or include/map probe requests as a matter of privacy and security.

If you're looking for a more powerful tool, check out some of the modular, automated Kismet setups people have developed. Kismet is a truly remarkable tool and can export to WiGLE as well as feed your deepest curiosity!

Cheers, and thanks for your interest

-ark and the WiGLE team
Okay, I'll look into the .csv files and my device configuration then... thanks for the reply!

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”