Stats by zip code

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby mentat » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:51 pm

I was think that it might be cool to see where the most access points were by zip code. I'm not to sure how hard this would be to extract from the datasets you have. I figure it would be pretty compute intensive though. Anyways, if possible, it would be cool to have a "Top Ten most Wireless" (as opposed to Wired) zips in the United States maybe updated every week or something.

Postby Mirlyn » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:57 am

Zip code would be mighty kick-ass. Perhaps just by county? Something web-based, rather than watching the JiGLE-client check for updates ;)

Postby bobzilla » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:30 am

Since zip code areas and counties are irregular shapes finding where a lat/long falls is non trivial. I could do a rough check using the county bounding boxes, but the answers could be a little high depending on the shape of the county and if there are points nearby. Working on going from lat/long to address and vice versa is something that will be very useful and is on my list of things to get done. :) Now if i can just get the colo server to stop locking up so i can move wigle back onto the fast connection...
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby zaphraud » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:30 pm

These statistics are not updating anymore.

The page http://wigle.net/gps/gps/main/genslicestats is updating, as evidenced by the fact that the number of nets in a country and the worldwide percentage match correctly to the currently changing total scanned...

...but zip code 85281 has been stuck at (the easily remembered number of) exactly 1024 networks since Ive been looking. I have with absolute certainty that this should have changed weeks ago.

what's wrong? Do some clients look up the zip code, but not the android client? new points have even been mapped in this area on foot with mapping service over cellular data enabled, but the count isn't changing.

Postby bobzilla » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 am

As with most of our stats, these are updated with asynchronous batch processing. The geo stats haven't been updated for several months due to some optimizations needed in that code, we'll try and get to that and get them going again.

Postby bobzilla » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Spent a bunch of time last week crunching the latest numbers and scripting up the final pieces, so this should be updated weekly now.
https://wigle.net/gps/gps/main/genslicestats

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”