Slow Scanning when screen locked

Issues with the Android network detection software. Please include Software version, Android version, and device when reporting

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ivmden » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Device: LG V30
Behavior noticed after upgrade to version released on April 21, 2018.

Scan times of 38 to 45 seconds observed.

Are there any diagnostic files I can pull from my phone to upload to help with debugging?
We didn't change how scanning is done, so has it always been that long? Or this is coincidental with something else.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby ivmden » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:21 pm

Interesting. I only got the phone a week ago, so I don't have a lot of data to go on, but I did notice a massive drop in scan time after the upgrade.

To be more specific, the slowdown only seems to happen in areas of very dense networks (like downtown <CITY WHERE I WORK>) and when I am on foot (like when I take my lunchtime walk).

Scan times seem fine while driving to and from work.

I'll try and gather some more details over the next week.

Postby ivmden » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 pm

I did some testing while walking to the mailbox here at home today. Contrary to my previous statement, network density does not seem to matter.

It took me a little while to get the hang of the screenshots, but once I did, I was able to reproduce the slow scans very regularly. Please see attached photos.
Attachments
8.2s.jpg
8.2s.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 21561 times
6.6s.jpg
6.6s.jpg (67.51 KiB) Viewed 21561 times
5.8s.jpg
5.8s.jpg (68.54 KiB) Viewed 21561 times

Postby ivmden » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:23 pm

photo set 2
Attachments
19.7s.jpg
19.7s.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 21561 times
11.5s.jpg
11.5s.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 21561 times
8.3S.jpg
8.3S.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 21561 times

Postby ivmden » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Last photo
Attachments
21.0s.jpg
21.0s.jpg (72.59 KiB) Viewed 21560 times

Postby arkasha » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:50 am

well, that's grim.

As a point of comparison, do you happen to have the older phone, and can it run the new version of WiWiWa? It would make a check/rule out environmental-local elements (and isolate it to phone model/OS version/other device-specific factors).

Thanks for the detailed info and sorry for the trouble.

-ark

Postby arkasha » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:55 am

one weird idea:

in more recent versions of android, the operating system has increased authority to "background" tasks even when they create ongoing services.
Exact instructions differ based on OS and vendor, but can you try turning off battery saving for WiGLE and see whether that solves the problem?

If that does, this indicates that the OS is aggressively optimizing (not the case in all devices/OS revs, but it would be good to start finding any/all where it does)
If it doesn't this suggests that perhaps the slow down is at the driver/radio level.

Cheers,

-Ark

Postby ivmden » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:06 pm

The phone is running Android 7.1.2. The kernel version is 4.4.63.

I have an old tablet I can spin up, it may take a while to get it up to speed.

I've set the scanner app to not be power throttled.

This is my first real adventure into the world of Android, I've been an iPhone user for 6 or 7 years now.

Postby ivmden » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:15 pm

And just saw a 15.98 second scan time. I'll spare posting the photos this time.

I'm signed into the IRC under the same username, and will keep an eye on it all day. If you have any ideas and want to try debugging faster, feel free to reach out.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE WiFi Wardriving Bugs”