Web Maps Glitch

Notes regarding project status and info

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby whitedice » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:18 pm

I just took a look at the Web Maps, and there are no points plotted anywhere.

The map is naked!

Postby pejacoby » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:57 am

w00t, naked geographical renderings!

With the queue at 201 files, methinks the back-end is unhappy....

hmmm, can I say 'naked' and 'backend' and 'geographical' in the same post and not get chastised? I'll try it and see....

Postby ccie4526 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 pm

hmmm, can I say 'naked' and 'backend' and 'geographical' in the same post and not get chastised? I'll try it and see....
Probably not. I'll keep quiet though. :D

Postby bobzilla » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:07 pm

looks like it was a db hiccup. apologies.

Postby Nevyn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:12 pm

This is unrelated, but I found a glitch in the maps for my area. The pictures seem to not render properly. Put in 18603 as the ZIP, and scroll eastward - notice the cutoff on the Route 11 logo?

I'd attach a photo but I don't think I can.

Postby whitedice » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:24 pm

This is unrelated, but I found a glitch in the maps for my area. The pictures seem to not render properly. Put in 18603 as the ZIP, and scroll eastward - notice the cutoff on the Route 11 logo?

I'd attach a photo but I don't think I can.
I don't think that is a glitch. If you notice the webmaps map detail is not super high quality detailed mapping. It just happens some of the joined squares that render as you shift the map around have the text cut off on the edge. If you randomly pick another location as I did (around Cleveland, OH) I saw other highway labels partially cut off. Sometimes you will see 2 labels right next to each other. I would guess the lower quality improves load times, and it works extremely well. If you were to drive that way running your equipment, it appears as though the road is correct. If the road doesn't match other maps of the same area, or you were to drive it, and your path of collection veers off into a field and does not follow a road, then we have a problem.

Speaking of that.. I'm very disappointed with your coverage of that town. A simple grid like that should be completely traversed! You are missing out on hundreds in that area! Such an amateur.. :P :P :)

PS: I got a DEBUG emailer.php error when I tried to submit, and ended up posting this thing like 5 times

Postby Nevyn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:14 am

Hey, give me a break. Only been at it with GPS for two days, and had to work on both of those days. :P I'll get more of it tomorrow morning; I'm actually gonna get out of bed so that I can do some driving before work.

Postby whitedice » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:48 am

Hey, give me a break. Only been at it with GPS for two days, and had to work on both of those days. :P I'll get more of it tomorrow morning; I'm actually gonna get out of bed so that I can do some driving before work.
There you go... That is what I like to hear!

Speaking of glitches, I just looked at Oxford, OH (45056), and all of the points don't line up with the street grid there. The road is a half block south of the gps'd points? The line across the bottom should be sitting on Chestnut St, and it is above Chestnut St. That my friend is how a grid is suppose to look, courtesy of yours truly. :P :P

PS, I got another error trying to submit this post......
General Error

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

Postby Nevyn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:38 am

I got the same error when I replied to you the first time.

*EDIT*

And this time, too.

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

Postby uhtu » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:18 pm

hrm.
yeah the logo "cut" stuff is a factor of our homebrew mapping tech, and how it tiles things.
as to not "fitting" a road grid, its unusual for points to actually fit exactly, depending on how often they've been seen, and from where (and the gps reporting it and the rig involved and the recording software and... you get the idea ;-)

not sure about an email error. looking into that now.

Postby bobzilla » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:54 pm

The error message when posting is due to someone listening to this topic that has email that can't be sent to. Unfortunately phpbb doesn't handle that too gracefully.

Postby whitedice » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:00 pm

hrm.
yeah the logo "cut" stuff is a factor of our homebrew mapping tech, and how it tiles things.
as to not "fitting" a road grid, its unusual for points to actually fit exactly, depending on how often they've been seen, and from where (and the gps reporting it and the rig involved and the recording software and... you get the idea ;-)

not sure about an email error. looking into that now.
Yeah, the only thing though, is in Oxford, OH (45056) the entire town, and the roads coming in and out all don't match with the points collected. The entire town is shifted.

Postby uhtu » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:40 pm

there are certainly observations effects that can move points away from roads. additional observers, with different rigs, will tend to correct points over time, on average.

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE News”