Settings? We've heard of them.

Notes regarding project status and info

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ecramp » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:35 pm

Looking at the Google Play Android page I saw "Thanks for your interest! While the app is a bit of an expert tool, maybe the forums at https://wigle.net can provide some insight! Feel free to reach out with questions there or in email" so here I am (LOL) just to see if there is anything here and after looking around, I think a new user would just be lost. I play with the various options in the app settings page from time to time but a lot of them have very little information for users that describes their functions so new users have their hands tied behind their backs; just what does "Display routes for execution" do?

I think it might be useful to have an app settings help page option here that describes the settings and features in detail with information about how they work and why you might want to turn them on. Otherwise all you can do is turn it on or off and drive around the block and see if you can figure out what happened. It's not too difficult for me :D, but it's a hassle for a first time user who might just give up in confusion. I've been training "new users" in computers for 40 years now and I think that new users these days have much less patience and higher expectations than users 10 or more years ago.

Postby arkasha » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:13 am

that's a good point!

the app has grown organically over the years - and it continues to change with each release (including the settings page). Even as a maintainer, sometimes I see the settings page in other languages and go through some cognitive dissonance.

does anyone know of a good, dynamic documentation system for mobile apps? we are a small team, and we maintain WiGLE in our free time as a hobby - this means that maintaining docs and tutorials in our already limited time would decrease the number of bugfixes and enhancements we'd have time to work on.

Postby arkasha » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 am

if you're an english speaker, these two crazy folks did a talk about us at def con a few years ago - it details a lot of stuff about the app:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSsTgazmHCw

Postby arkasha » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 pm

her you go: https://wigle.net/wiwi_settings - the main settings panel annotated.
Now, to translate it into the 31 other languages we support... anyone got free time?

Postby OliVDB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:21 pm

I'll see what I can do for Russian and French, although I don't promise a full translation, as that's something that will either take time or a full time job.

Postby arkasha » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:08 pm

aw, thanks! no stress, but we're happy to post if you have time. the problem is that the bounds for the image map will change in each language.
:cry:

honestly, if you have spare time, please help fix our translations in WiGLE Wireless for Android - there's a lot of Google translate in there!

thanks!

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE News”