kismet-noob-101

The gear needed for wardriving

24 posts • Page 2 of 2

Postby animus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:22 pm

i edited the file i dont know if i did the following good
i changed gps to true but i dont have a gps sytem.
when i pressed ctrl-x it sayed where to save it,
i choose ctrl-T, to file then i choose kismet.conf

when i was back in the terminal and typed sudo kismet i got the followingn error;

Code: Select all

kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:~$ cd /etc/kismet kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ pico kismet.conf kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ sudo kismet Password: kidney is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ sudo kismet kidney is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ su Password: su: Authentication failure Sorry. kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ su Password: KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet# sudo kismet Server options: none Client options: none Starting server... Waiting for server to start before starting UI... Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure. No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled. Enabling channel hopping. Enabling channel splitting. Source 0 ({name}): Enabling monitor mode for madwifi_g source interface wifi0 channel 6... WARNING: wifi0 appears to not accept the Madwifi-NG controls. Will attempt to configure it as a standard Madwifi-old interface. If you are using madwifi-ng, be sure to set the source interface to the wifiX control interface, NOT athX FATAL: GetIFFlags: interface wifi0: No such device KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet#

Postby littledave » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:05 pm

i edited the file i dont know if i did the following good
i changed gps to true but i dont have a gps sytem.
when i pressed ctrl-x it sayed where to save it,
i choose ctrl-T, to file then i choose kismet.conf

when i was back in the terminal and typed sudo kismet i got the followingn error;

kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:~$ cd /etc/kismet kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ pico kismet.conf kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ sudo kismet Password: kidney is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ sudo kismet kidney is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ su Password: su: Authentication failure Sorry. kidney@KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet$ su Password: KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet# sudo kismet Server options: none Client options: none Starting server... Waiting for server to start before starting UI... Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure. No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled. Enabling channel hopping. Enabling channel splitting. Source 0 ({name}): Enabling monitor mode for madwifi_g source interface wifi0 channel 6... WARNING: wifi0 appears to not accept the Madwifi-NG controls. Will attempt to configure it as a standard Madwifi-old interface. If you are using madwifi-ng, be sure to set the source interface to the wifiX control interface, NOT athX FATAL: GetIFFlags: interface wifi0: No such device KIDNEY-LAP:/etc/kismet#
Make sure that your card is in and working ( not connected to the Internet )
Change the source to

source=madwifi_b,wifi1,madwifi (madwifi-ng)

If you don't have a gps,why are you trying to get kismet running?

Postby littledave » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:16 pm

All he needs now is gpsd 2.10 or the one I use. Dutch posted it on the N.S forums it works better then the gpsd 2.10 for me .
http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.p ... 0&page=107. That's is if he got the kismet.conf set up.
Well, I'm using gpsd 2.33 and it works well. I wouldn't want to change it, but the patch that counts networks discovered sounds great.
Nothing better then hitting your favorite drive- thru and have kismet fire off a new ap.The look from the person taking the money. priceless

Postby mrmeebles » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:21 pm

Yeah, why do you want Kismet without a GPS?

So anyway, you're going to have to use wlanconfig work to create a monitor network.

man wlanconfig tells you how to do that. That is if you have the newest (or relatively new) madwifi drivers installed.

Postby themacuser » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:11 am

Yeah, why do you want Kismet without a GPS?

So anyway, you're going to have to use wlanconfig work to create a monitor network.

man wlanconfig tells you how to do that. That is if you have the newest (or relatively new) madwifi drivers installed.
Actually, you need to specify wifiX (probably wifi0) instead of athX as the interface to capture from, and Kismet will do all the setup itself.

If you want a cheap but good GPS, and don't have one already, I'd reccommend the BU-353 from here: http://www.usglobalsat.com/. Works great on Mac, Windows and Linux.

Postby mrmeebles » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:15 am

Does Kismet scan better if it's using a monitor VAP? I thought it helped to destroy all the other VAPs and only have a monitor VAP going.

Postby themacuser » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:32 am

Does Kismet scan better if it's using a monitor VAP? I thought it helped to destroy all the other VAPs and only have a monitor VAP going.
Yep. If you've got an AP or client active, it can't hop channels without either the AP changing channel 5 times a second, or the client link being repetedly disconnected. I'm not exactly sure what happens, as I haven't tried, however, I can say it's better just to have the monitor VAP.

Postby animus » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:16 am

so i got kismet working now.
it was alot of work to get kismet installed on my system.
it take some time to do it.

themacuser.
the gps you mentioned thats a usb waterproof?
you mean this right? http://www.expansys.nl/p.aspx?i=140985
is that a good one? are there many differences whit gps devices?
because i dont wat to buy one and buy i better one 2 months later.
(website is dutch because im from the netherlands)

Postby mrmeebles » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:46 pm

Yes, it's waterproof.
1. For GPS keep in mind you need WAAS.
2.Aside of that you might want to ask yourself if you want to use it ever without your computer.
I don't. I had (have) a bu puck like the one themacuser recommended. (I think the one he recommended is better). I also have a Garmin Etrex. I was having more luck getting reception with the puck because it's on the outside of the car I imagine. But recently I discovered I almost always have better reception with the etrex and as a result I always have a 3d (or at very least 2d) lock even with dark clouds. So I use the etrex now and not the puck.

3. I also like to see the display on the gps to see how many satellites it's finding. So I know if it's an interfacing problem (between computer and gps) or a gps problem.
4. I personally would want a gps with waas, a display and external antenna connectors.
5. Or recently I saw a gps from hammacher-schlemmer that had a gps that you could upload (standard) free maps to. (Most maps for gps's are proprietary and a lot are installed through windows programs. There are some linux work arounds, but I haven't found any for me.) You're Dutch, I'm pretty sure that the Open Street Maps projects has a lot of maps for Holland. Check them out.

24 posts • Page 2 of 2

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”