PDA with GPS and Wifi?

The gear needed for wardriving

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ronnor » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:56 pm

Can anyone recommend a PDA that I can plug my eTrex into for mapping? I assume I'd need an external antenna too?

I'd rather not use a laptop if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Postby argh » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:32 am

If by 'mapping' you mean making maps, any PDA will be limiting. For basic wardriving, there are several that work well. I used an old Sharp Zaurus for years, it had a serial out (works with an Etrex) with a special cable, and had CF slot for wifi card. You could run Kismet on it without much trouble. Compaq Ipaqs were popular as well.

Probably most Windows Mobile PDAs will be able to run Netstumbler.

I've been out of the war-walking for several years, I know there are many here who do. You might search the forum here for PDA or warwalking?

Postby ronnor » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 am

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I want to create maps to contribute to the project, plus for my own use.

I don't understand how the iPaqs would connect via serial... I can't find any adapters on the web... maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

I learned about the garmin PDAs this afternoon (with GPS built-in). But none that I found had Wifi. Can anyone recommend a good SD wireless card (maybe even one with an external antenna jack)?

I also found an HP unit with both GPS and WiFi. But they cost a bit too much for this project.

Postby pejacoby » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:53 am

I still use my iPaq hx2750 with WiFiFoFum. I cut my wardriving teeth on an iPaq 5550 running miniStumbler and the WiFiFoFum. Active mode scanning isn't as cool as passive, but I have collected lots of APs this way.

For GPS I use a bluetooth Holux 236. I also have a cable that provides power and serial connectivity to the iPaq and my eTrex Legend GPS. I got the cable from gpscity.com.

You can find lots of iPaqs on eBay, there are a few sellers that seem to specialize in them.

Postby Dr_Dropper » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:21 am

almost any newer PPC that you buy will certainly have bluetooth and wifi built in. if i were you i probably woulnt worry about lugging that etrex around, i recently picked up a couple of gsat bluetooth gps receivers from the at&t store for 40 bucks a piece. however the reason i got them so cheap is because the package was labeld cingular but im sure you could find something simmilar if you look around. then you could run pocket streets which is included in MS streets and trips and ministumbler. all without the wires. dell has some nice axim PPC's that are very nice, they also have a CF slot and an SD slot so you could easily connect extra peripherals. or if you have the extra cash to spend there are some very very nice UMPC's out on the market fujitcu has a very nice UMPC for under 1k.

Postby Tech^CF » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:57 pm

Im using my HTC TyTN II phone (built in Wifi and GPS). Has splitter software so I can use TomTom Navigator while wardriving.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”