Just tested this easy to use wardriving build

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1
I received a plausible solution this morning to test for easy setup and use for Wardriving. I have been working on getting a lot of folks together to perform wardriving and having all data sent to Wigle. I found a build called WhirlWind on the web, specific for wardriving. I just finished testing this morning and it is working well. I am no wardriving guru, either. The solution allowed me to quickly and easily setup the system for use. To be honest, a 5 year-old could use this build. Someone more experienced than me might want to give this a shot. For what I need it for (Wardriving parties) it should work well.

Just thought some others might want some help finding something that is easy to use.

Thanks.
Sory... forgot to put this in the original post

http://www.youtube.com/wifiwhirlwind
Since my last post, I have obtained and tested the Gold version of WhirlWind. This version allows for collection of traffic plus mapping of networks. It's just too simple. You not only can lock onto a channel, but the user is able to lock on to a given BSSID, as well. This allows collection of only the traffic from the locked-on BSSID network, if desired. Most impressive. Haven't seen many things that have this feature. Sure, you can lock on channels with other builds and open source tools, but locking onto the BSSID is really neat and reduces the amount of traffic collected, greatly!!

I have heard without verification that a version may be coming out that performs traffic breakdown, too. I don't think this would be in the typical sense of traffic stats... but rather.. extraction of files flowing in the traffic streams.

:-)

Postby uhtu » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:41 pm

examining non-beacon traffic is not wardriving, and is likely to be illegal in most jursidictions.

Postby 007osint » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 pm

You are right. It is not wardriving when you are collecting non-beacon traffic. I consider it monitoring. I use this method to collect traffic within my own network and watch what is going on. If properly setup, a company is allowed to do this with their own WiFi network, and an individual has the right to collect and monitor their own wireless network's activities, too.

I was not implying that people should go around and collect traffic that they do not own the rights to collect. In fact, in most cases it will get you in big trouble if caught.

I was simply stating a capability of the technology. I see many people on the Wigle forum post about cracking WEP and WPA, and I am sure they are not just doing this to test their own network's security. Everyone needs to be aware of the laws in place within the area they are wardriving or performing other wireless capable activities that may be in violation of the law.

One of the items of WhirlWind that make a little scarier/useful over other solutions is the fact it is fully stealth at what it does. It uses Kismet, but silences everything on the box to prevent outgoing packets.

I know lots of people that do wardriving and they use a system that isn't setup to be silent, which allows others in an area to see when the wardriving explorer crosses into the network ownser's space. Just an operational security observation to be made and understood by other wardrivers out there.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”