Am I missing anything?

The gear needed for wardriving

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby bluesoul » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:32 am

Preface: First post, hi, etc.

Now that that's out of the way, I've recently begun wardriving with a very simple setup and I'd like to get a little more efficiency out of my drives. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and I think I've found some gear that looks appealing without getting too terribly pricey.

My setup currently is an HP Pavilion dv8235nr laptop with the Microsoft Streets & Trips GPS. All the power I need is provided through a Targus power inverter.

The stuff I'm looking at is like so.

1.) Senao NL-2511CD Plus PCMCIA Card

2.) MMCX to N converter/pigtail.

3.) Fab-corp 5dBi shorty mag-mount omni

Now, as the Senao goes, it has two antenna jacks. Does it even make sense to run two omnidirectional antennas? Or would I be better served by something else? While I'm comfortable with computers and networking in general this is more on the electronics aspect of it, which I'm not as familiar with. Any advice, hyperlinks, testimonials etc. are of course appreciated.

Postby littledave » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:54 pm

Preface: First post, hi, etc.

Now that that's out of the way, I've recently begun wardriving with a very simple setup and I'd like to get a little more efficiency out of my drives. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and I think I've found some gear that looks appealing without getting too terribly pricey.

My setup currently is an HP Pavilion dv8235nr laptop with the Microsoft Streets & Trips GPS. All the power I need is provided through a Targus power inverter.

The stuff I'm looking at is like so.

1.) Senao NL-2511CD Plus PCMCIA Card

2.) MMCX to N converter/pigtail.

3.) Fab-corp 5dBi shorty mag-mount omni

Now, as the Senao goes, it has two antenna jacks. Does it even make sense to run two omnidirectional antennas? Or would I be better served by something else? While I'm comfortable with computers and networking in general this is more on the electronics aspect of it, which I'm not as familiar with. Any advice, hyperlinks, testimonials etc. are of course appreciated.
Nope that all looks good. I have 3 of those cards and antennas. Use one antenna if you look at the picture in the link you provided it's the one next to "wireless lan sticker" This is the main connector .

Postby argh » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:18 pm

Agreed, those all look like good choices for hardware. I use a similar card, and that same antenna.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”