Running multiple devices with kismet

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I have a 3 of USB devices that i want to run simultaneously with kismet in Ubuntu. I'm not really sure where to start.

I could run kismet as i do now but in 3 different terminals, one for each device. The only issue i see here is combining the logs at the end.

Can i set up multiple Servers (Is that right? or is it multiple clients?) to all log to one central location?

The devices are of different makes with different antennas, and from what i understand kismet won't auto balance them if i run them all in one instance? is that accurate?

I know all of you master wardrivers have tackled this, and i'd love to hear how you did it!

Thanks!
APhunter

Postby themacuser » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Just have 3 different source lines in the kismet config. Kismet will do just fine with 3 devices in one instance - it will even manage channel hopping in an optimum manner.

Postby APhunter » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:24 pm

Thats terrific. I had read somewhere that kismet did fine if the different sources all had the same antenna/reception capability, I don't remember where it was, but maybe i misinterpreted it.

You mentioned that kismet would handle channel hopping, is it possible to have one device not channel hop? I was thinking it would be nice to have one device devoted to channel 6 (omni), and the other two (directional) hopping the full range except for channel 6.

Thanks!
-APhunter

Postby KH » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:17 pm

You mentioned that kismet would handle channel hopping, is it possible to have one device not channel hop? I was thinking it would be nice to have one device devoted to channel 6 (omni), and the other two (directional) hopping the full range except for channel 6.
From the sample kismet.conf with the latest and greatest kismet release:

Code: Select all

# Given two capture sources, "prism2a" and "prism2b", we want prism2a to stay # on channel 6 and prism2b to hop normally. By not setting a sourcechannels # line for prism2b, it will use the standard hopping. # sourcechannels=prism2a:6

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”