What RS232/serial to USB adapter to get?

The gear needed for wardriving

11 posts • Page 1 of 1
I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and I want to use it with GPSD + Kismet, but the cable to hook it to the computer is RS232/serial and my laptop doesn't have a RS232/serial connector on it. I've been looking at some RS232/serial to USB adapter cables, but I'm not sure what to get.

I hope you guys can help me out.

P.S. Does anybody know for sure if my GPS is fully compatible? I've found things online about the regular eTrex version and the eTrex Vista version, but not the eTrex Legend version.

Postby whitedice » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 am

This may not be much help, but I think Amazon.com is selling your cable for $30? You have to supply other power to the gps, or let it run on batteries? I don't know if it is compatible.

I would get a usb-powered gps puck for what looks to be around $40? I'm partial to a Globalsat BU-353. You can plop it on the roof (magnetic and waterproof), and forget about it. I know it's compatible, cause I have 3 of them.

EDIT: Ok, so I didn't look very hard, cause there are cheaper cables than what I originally found. I still recommend getting a puck. A small inverter to power the laptop, gps is powered by the laptop, and no worries about how to power the garmin, or where to put it in relation to your laptop to get a good signal in your car. Just a more functional solution.

Postby evilbandit » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:21 am

Well, the problem with your suggestion is that I already have the eTrex Legend. (got it for camping) Therefore, I'm trying to avoid buying another GPS. And my main concern with the RS232/serial to USB adapter is that it requires drivers. (at least on windows and Mac) Do I have to worry about the adapters being Linux compatible or are they all compatible?

Postby whitedice » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:25 am

It's hard to tell if people got it working. (Google searching)

Is there a setting to make it output in NMEA? That seems to be a key issue.

http://gpsd.berlios.de/hardware.html
Is what you have on this list?

It appears, garmin is not default to output in NMEA, something gpsd needs to work. You may have more luck in finding something that says they got it to work and how.

I see you just started this whole thing, so I understand what you mean about costs. If you get hooked, like I did, upgrading to a puck is one of the first upgrades you'll want to make. Very reliable and easy to get working. I use one with a GPS Navigation program for the XP laptop, and a couple pucks for my various "collecting" setups. I will push for puck usage in every post. :P
I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and I want to use it with GPSD + Kismet, but the cable to hook it to the computer is RS232/serial and my laptop doesn't have a RS232/serial connector on it. I've been looking at some RS232/serial to USB adapter cables, but I'm not sure what to get.

I hope you guys can help me out.

P.S. Does anybody know for sure if my GPS is fully compatible? I've found things online about the regular eTrex version and the eTrex Vista version, but not the eTrex Legend version.

I have and did use my eTrex Legend, go to the setup/interface and tell it to

Code: Select all

NMEA in NMEA out @4800 baud
Then to setup/units and change "position format " to

hddd mm mmm
As for the serial to usb I have 2 one is a Belkin fsu109 the other is Iogear Guc232a. Both work great but like Whitedice I use a Bu 353 its alot easier. For GPSD use 2.10 or use the one Dutch posted on nestumbler forums(GPSD_OLD). What distro are you using?

Postby evilbandit » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:12 pm

I will probably be using BackTrack 3 (at least until I get drivers for Ubuntu that are capable of monitor mode.)

and I made the suggested changes on my GPS. I probably would never have figured that out on my own.

Postby littledave » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 pm

I will probably be using BackTrack 3 (at least until I get drivers for Ubuntu that are capable of monitor mode.)

and I made the suggested changes on my GPS. I probably would never have figured that out on my own.
What wireless card are you using? I run Ubuntu with no problem with monitor mode. Proxim 8470-fc(Atheros),Senao nl-2511 (prism 2.5) will work out of the box. If your going to buy one get the 8410 or a Atheros based card because you can use WPA on your wireless router when not stumbling.
When I used a Garmin serial GPS, I tried a generic RS232/USB adapter, and it worked fine. In the software, I had to point it to /dev/usb0 instead of /dev/ttyS0. On the serial GPS itself, I did the same as littledave:
I have and did use my eTrex Legend, go to the setup/interface and tell it to

NMEA in NMEA out @4800 baud
Then to setup/units and change "position format " to

hddd mm mmm
If you are in the USA, you might watch the upcoming Black Friday Thanksgiving sales. Last year I got two USGlobalsat bu-353 USB GPS for USD $30 each. It's much less wires than keeping your serial GPS charged, it's smaller, and I got better performance.
If you are in the USA, you might watch the upcoming Black Friday Thanksgiving sales. Last year I got two USGlobalsat bu-353 USB GPS for USD $30 each. It's much less wires than keeping your serial GPS charged, it's smaller, and I got better performance.
I'm not making this stuff up. The BU-353 should be called the "Official GPS of WarDrivers".. Or something. Love it!
I'm not making this stuff up. The BU-353 should be called the "Official GPS of WarDrivers".. Or something. Love it!

I'll 2nd that.
In the software, I had to point it to /dev/usb0 instead of /dev/ttyS0. On the serial GPS itself,
I figure when he gets that far that will be next question.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”