802.11 b/a/n/g handheld warwalking?

The gear needed for wardriving

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Iszi » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm looking to buy (or assemble) a handheld warwalking rig, and was wondering what recommendations you all might have.

I'm particularly aiming at rogue device hunting, and would like to have either a PDA or UMPC based unit that can find anything in the 802.11 b/a/n/g ranges. It would be great if I could re-use some of the hardware we already have, but if the only option is to buy a full new system then that can be considered as well.

What we currently have are some AirMagnet handhelds, which are really just a HP iPAQ hx2495b with a Summit SDC-CF20G and some proprietary software. While these do work wonderfully as they are, they are limited to only the 2.4 GHz (802.11 b/g, and some of n) and even then only to the first 11 channels. I need to find something that covers all commonly available 802.11 devices.

As I said, the ideal option would be to re-use the PDAs and just buy some new hardware/software to support our needs. However, I've been having a hard time finding anything that will offer the solution I seek on a handheld platform.

In seeking a commercial product I've contacted AirMagnet to find that while they do have an 802.11 b/a/n/g analyzer, it's only available on a laptop. So far, the only commercially available analyzer that fits the bill is Berkely Varitronics' YellowJacket b/a/n/g. However, this is fairly expensive ($6,500 not counting options like direction-finding antennae) and has many features and capabilities that I don't need. Even the Berkely Varitronics sales rep suggested that I should "home-brew" something instead.

So, any suggestions? Is there a wifi device and wardriving tool that would work with these PDAs and cover the whole b/a/n/g spectrum? Or, does the YellowJacket have some competition I just haven't dug up yet?

Thanks in advance for the input.

- Iszi

Postby themacuser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:43 am

I'd suggest a linux-based handheld like the Nokia tablets, and a USB wifi card. Then get Kismet going on that.

Postby york2600 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:44 am

I'm very curious if anyone out there has kismet / gpsd running on the Nokia N810 considering it has built in GPS and 802.11b/g support. Anyone out there care to let me know how this runs / what it takes.

Postby arkasha » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm

I actually use a Nokia N770 pretty regularly, with a bluetooth SiRF III chipset GPS. I run Kismet and GPSd with few problems. It required a little hacking around to get set up (take the red pill!), but it was pretty solid once it got going. My three complaints (remember, I'm using the junked-out old model) are:

- the storage it ships with sucks (so does the format, but that's another issue) - buy a bigger one.

- i do have tansient failures getting bluetooth to recognize my GPS on startup occasionally.

- screen keyboards suck.

Postby york2600 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Good to know. I think most of those issues would be solved with the N810 since it has the keyboard and the GPS is built in, plus the storage is (a little) bigger.

Postby karllind » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:38 pm

I use a Nokia N800 running nokismet and a Holux GPS. Runs pretty good. I have the occasional hiccup but it's pretty sweet.

Postby MetatronBN » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:04 pm

I know this thread is a little old and I don't want to feel like a necrophiliac but the new Nokia N900 runs the new build of Kismet really nicely but the GPS in it is not great and the wireless is not massively sensitive, so don't expect it to pick up as much as your laptop. The same could be said for all phones.

You can use an external USB wireless card and GPS receiver as long as you make yourself a power injector and host USB support is no where near perfect.

Postby arkasha » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:43 pm

I finally gave up on the multi-component Nokia stumbling, and have switched over the WiFiWhere - it's so much easier that I wear it running now. I still use my kistmet-Nokia rig once in a while, but the convenience and accuracy of the iPhone has pretty much made it obsolete!

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”