few questions

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby freeballer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:28 pm

I got curious, and BORED and tried wardriving. My rig is nothing special, mostly ebay purchases for around 40-50$ total.

basically I have;
Windows Vista / Ubuntu 9.04 / OSX - tri boot
macbook 14"
realtek rt8190 usb adapter (with rp rmc)
navteq usb gps
10 db external antenna

I learnt two things... Never underestimate adequate and secure placement of antenna (magnet was insufficient, it fell and broke the casing).. Luckily it still works and can be placed in the window, also car was not damaged.

I need a inverter for power lol

I used a program called wirelessmon. Its shareware and I'm currently on a trial version. It outputted a gps log file, gpx. When I plugged in the gpx into google maps I found out that either gps is severly inaccurate or because of the high gain antenna it gave ap info from 3 houses down.

maybee someone can sort of help with this.. I do have kistmet (via ubuntu) available and also issder (windows). I didn't get to much into kismet because it took me a while to get working... Do either of them give you strongest signal only? a grid of strenght plotted as a circle (target)? can it be configured only to trigger at a srong enough signal that you could connect to the ap? Is there any other software to plot out your route, ap information and maybee can give you signal strenght/channel/ssid/manufacturer at a glance?

I'd appreciate any help, suggestions for newcommer
its kinda neat and informative
Geo

Postby york2600 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:44 am

Have you tried Kismac in OS X?

Postby freeballer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 am

I don't remember if it was the wireless card or the gps that would not show up in osx.. There was one of the kismet clones for osx that I think didn't support anything but the default mac wireless card but don't remember. I can try to boot into it and double check once its up to date

Postby york2600 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:26 am

Hardware support is still a bit iffy in Kismac, but it's gotten a lot better. You'll have support for anything built in, several pcmcia cards, and several usb adapters.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”