Andriod Software?

The gear needed for wardriving

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Sanukk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:58 am

Hi all

I currently use WiFiFoFum on a HTC Touch phone, but it's getting a little long in the tooth so it's time for a new toy, err... phone, I mean.

I'm seriously considering an Android phone, does anybody know if a) there is any wardriving software available for android, and B) if there is, is it any good?

~S

Postby boggyj » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:02 pm

I use G-Mon with my Nexus and it works very well. I've also tried Wardrive which also seems to work pretty well. Both provide file formats that are compatible with Wigle.

I now take out the Nexus in preference to a laptop as it seems to give as good results.

Jon

Postby icurnet » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:14 am

Hi all

I currently use WiFiFoFum on a HTC Touch phone, but it's getting a little long in the tooth so it's time for a new toy, err... phone, I mean.

I'm seriously considering an Android phone, does anybody know if a) there is any wardriving software available for android, and B) if there is, is it any good?

~S
Hi Sanukk,

I just started using G-Mon on my G1 phone and it works pretty well. In my experience I have about a 50-100 yard range in open driving conditions w/my G1 in a PDA holder in the top center of my suv AC vent. I also deleted my g1 local WiFi profiles and turned off the setting for 'Network Notification' under settings | wireless controls | Wi-Fi Settings. The latter two actions made the biggest difference (3-5x as many networks reported on the same route home from work).

This does not beat my preferred setup: laptop w/kismet newcore, 3 Hawking hwug1 usb adapters (ch 1,6,11) on a 5ft usb cord and usb hub, and a pcmcia ubiquity card w/ext 5.5dBi omni channel hopping.

The g1/g-mon is now my daily tool for daily commuting.

David
http://twitter.com/icurnet

Postby uhtu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:44 am

a little bird told me that there's a WigleWifi app in the android marketplace now...

Postby littledave » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:46 am

a little bird told me that there's a WigleWifi app in the android marketplace now...

would that be this one?

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/net.wigle.wigleandroid/

Postby themacuser » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:04 pm

There's another alternative - the Nokia N900 can run Kismet :)

Postby icurnet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:06 pm

There's another alternative - the Nokia N900 can run Kismet :)
In a quick haste to leave the house I bagged the 20M gps marked network the other morning w/wiglewifi on my g1 (so g-mon is gone, esp due to the tuning features in the first version of wiglewifi). I literally went to bed the night before w/5801 network points to go; woke up 6hrs later to 330 network points to go; quick shower and shave; re-visited my nearest apartment/condo nearby and boom - 20M mark was mine. I could never have prepped my normal rig that fast.

I just bought a new related toy for my laptop based kismet (pic to follow in netgear forum shortly).

David.

Postby Sanukk » Thu May 06, 2010 2:02 pm

That is the one I ended up using after trying a few different apps.

~S

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”