d-link ant24-0230 and three usb dongles w/kismet

The gear needed for wardriving

8 posts • Page 1 of 1
I added a new piece to my kismet laptop wardriving rig.

Pics and write-up are here:
http://icurnet.blogspot.com/2010/04/new ... de_06.html

Basically the antenna is designed for an 802.11n access point w/rp-sma connectors which I connected to my three existing hwug1 usb 802.11b/g adapters.

I will still use my ubiquity pcmcia card w/my fab-corp 5 dBi omni (hopping).

Time for a test drive ;)

Basically the antenna is designed for an 802.11n access point w/rp-sma connectors which I connected to my three existing hwug1 usb 802.11b/g adapters.

Time for a test drive ;)
The setup worked well but I am leaning more to buying an amp for my ext antenna vs. keeping this unit [$28].
------------------------------------------------
amateur radio, wifi enthusiast

Time for a test drive ;)
The setup worked well but I am leaning more to buying an amp for my ext antenna vs. keeping this unit [$28].
Well its official, the outside antenna (even just one radio channel hopping) makes the biggest difference and I have not even added an amp yet.

I tested a drive on the way home from work this evening. This time I used just my laptop, the ubiquity pcmcia card, and an external 5dBi omni on the roof of my suv vs. the d-link and ant24-0230 setup mentioned eairler. Here is the info and difference:

-> distance traveled = 3.8 miles, 8 minutes, 135 new APs<-

Time for a pre-amp!

Postby littledave » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:39 pm

If there is a choice between a amp and getting all your cards on external antenna's, I would go with more antenna's hands down.

Postby icurnet » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:50 pm

If there is a choice between a amp and getting all your cards on external antenna's, I would go with more antenna's hands down.
Thanks for your comment!

I think I should explain myself on my previous point.

I had the d-link 3-antenna contraption on the dash of my suv and my external antenna was not in-use; it made a bigger difference to use my external single antenna and a single ubiquity pcmcia radio (channel hopping) than using the 3usb dongles and the dlink antenna cluster on my front dashboard.

Postby littledave » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:56 pm

I follow, that was the point. Get all 4 of your cards on antenna's on the roof and you'll really see a difference. Amp $200.00 or $180.00 for 3 mobile marks.

Postby icurnet » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:08 am

I follow, that was the point. Get all 4 of your cards on antenna's on the roof and you'll really see a difference. Amp $200.00 or $180.00 for 3 mobile marks.
Thanks. I just remembered that I have a small patch antenna that I could connect to one of my usb dongles and also use the external omni 5 dBi antenna in the meantime.

I'm still looking to combine all the radios out to one external omni antenna. I have a separate thread on that in the forum (no updates yet, been busy) but I am trying for better reception in the interim.

Postby icurnet » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:25 am

I returned the triple antenna D-Link mentioned here. I obtained more networks w/my external 5dBi omni on my suv roof than the internal antenna cluster obtained.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”