Wardriving with 3 antennas, channel 1,6,11, or scanning?

The gear needed for wardriving

7 posts • Page 1 of 1
My rig consists of 3 wireless cards, each with a 7dBi magmount antenna.

I am using kismet while wardriving, and I am wondering if I should
keep kismet at the default mode (which is each card scanning, evenly distrubuted over the channels), or if I should set one card at channel 1,
the next card at channel 6, and the last card at channel 11?
(or channel 2,7, and 12, as I am in Norway?)

Postby doommaster » Sat May 15, 2010 2:05 pm

just make some examples of all channels and check how they are distributed

maybe adding another card would be good, one that is in hopping mode, because there are still nets on channels 5, 8 and so on

Postby Stoffi » Sun May 16, 2010 9:42 am

Yes, I could add another card for scanning, but I was wondering if the channel overlap would make having the cards set at channel 1,6, and 11 would give a better result, than having all three cards scanning. (Evenly distrubuted across the spectrum.)

Having read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
and especially the section named "Channels and international compatibility" I see that I could have four cards, at channel 1,5,9 and 13, which would make even my cards overlap (barely) at channel 3,7 and 11.
But I don't know if that configuration would see beacons from ie. Channel 3,7 and 11, as it would be tuned to channel 1,5,9 and 13.

Postby doommaster » Sun May 16, 2010 9:49 am

yes, the overlapping point is right, because of the channels bandwidths

but you should also consider, that under bad receiption conditions the s/n ratio of a channel6 network on channel5 is a lot worse than on channel 6 and thus the number of networks found would be a lot less ;)

having 3 cards fixed to the statistically most important channels (there are always just 3 anyways the region) and one card hopping is the best solution so far ;)
My rig consists of 3 wireless cards, each with a 7dBi magmount antenna.

I am using kismet while wardriving, and I am wondering if I should
keep kismet at the default mode (which is each card scanning, evenly distrubuted over the channels), or if I should set one card at channel 1,
the next card at channel 6, and the last card at channel 11?
(or channel 2,7, and 12, as I am in Norway?)
I have 3 Hawking USB adapters: 1 on channel 6, 1 on channel 11, one hopping

I tried having all 3 hop and it seemed like they were all hopping at the same interval on the same channel. You can muck with the kismet.conf file, enter the mac address of the adapter, and assign a diff order for hopping but the former is simplier.

My old g1 and wiggle.net client is my daily tool since it's always w/me.
------------------------------------------------
amateur radio, wifi enthusiast
Anyone else scan for channels oustide the legal 1-11? I found a few access points running on channel 14 here in Kansas City. The open source Linux drivers on my Atheros card lets me extend the range to scan quite a bit farther covering nearly 1GHz in bandwidth.

I hope to get my GPS working soon, so I can find out where these guys are...
Here in Norway, channel 1-13 is legal, as many other places in the world ;)

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”