Dirt Cheap Wardriving Rig

The gear needed for wardriving

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Postby RJ McKenzi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:50 am

How does this compare to like a Nexus 7, That is my current Wardriving device and it works great. Has better range and speed then my Galaxy Note 2. I would love for something a bit smaller that I could leave in the car for Wardriving.

Postby bigstape » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:08 pm

I'd say the Nexus 7 is roughly 20% better.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

Postby AZ_WD'er » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:04 pm

I have no way to compare them to the Nexus as I have not had one. But lately I have not been having any issues with the Vortex and my AP's. Ad it is a LOT more sensitive than my Galaxy S3 for some reason. May have to look at how I have both of them setup with the Wigle app.

Postby pejacoby » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:57 am

Bumping an older thread -- my Vortex continues to be a remarkably good WigleWiFi stumbling rig. However, it's stuck at Android 2.2.2, meaning I can't run the latest version of WigleWiFi. Mine is also for Verizon, and I now have a spare T-Mobile SIM.

Any suggestions on a (cheap) replacement that can run more recent OS versions (at least 4.4) and works with T-Mobile?

Postby bigstape » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:43 am

The version of wigle that will run on the vortex will no longer directly upload to the wigle database. However, you can still upload the files from a desktop or laptop. Try to upload the data as usual from wigle, and when it fails, hook your votex up to a PC and upload the generated csv file through the wigle "uploads" webpage.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”