Alfa AWUS051NH 5.8GHz Wardriving

The gear needed for wardriving

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby bigstape » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:46 am

Took one of these out for a test ride today. I was surprised I was getting hits even with a 2.4GHz antenna. Looks like I'll have to add this to my mix of cards.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

Postby m86 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:32 pm

... btw, ff you're looking for a (somewhat) low cost 5dBi dual-band antenna for the device, the stock antennas for the ASUS RT-N66U, RT-N66R, RT-AC66U, or RT-AC66R routers may suffice. They're on eBay for ~$5 from one seller at the moment.
I'm trying to find a good mag-mount 5ghz antenna, but so far my google-fu has failed me.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

Postby m86 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:36 am

perhaps an NMO antenna + an NMO mount (this one this one may work - it looks like the same one I am using now)?
Link is no longer valid. Do you know the manufacturer and/or model number? Thanks!

Postby bigstape » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:44 pm

BTW, the 51 is a rather mediocre 2.4 GHz card.

I have disabled 2.4ghz channel hopping on the 51, since it is a poor performer in that band anyway, so it can concentrate on 5ghz. To do it, I had to create a channellist in kismet.conf consisting of those 5ghz channels that the 51 supports (it does not seem to support all IEEE80211a channels). I don't know if this is the 'proper' way to do it in kismet, but it seems to work.

Example kismet.conf lines:

ncsource=wlanX:name=051NH,channellist=AWUS051NH-5GHZ

channellist=AWUS051NH-5GHZ:40,149,5795,44,5755,161,36,46,153,165,38,48,157

Postby Wolfess » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Nice. I scan for 5 and 5.8 too using that card. Works just fine on a 2.4 antenna cuz of the harmonics

Postby Wolfess » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:22 am

You know I wonder if its possible to wardrive the other wifi like frequencies. 70pmhz, 900, 1.2ghz ham 3.5ghz ham 3.6ghz 4.9ghz 5.9ghz routers and 60ghz links maybe IR lifi and such

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”