Antenna Test: Data Alliance 12dBi omni

The gear needed for wardriving

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/-s ... SMA/Detail

This is the antenna that got me started on my quest for a better antenna when I noticed that it had better reception than my Mobile Mark Mini-Mag IMAG5-2400. However, I was fixated on mag-mount antennas, due to their ideal location up on top of the vehicle. The Data Alliance 12 dBi isn't really practical in this location because it's inflexible and 22.5 inches long (that's 58cm for you progressive foreigners). But then I realized that due to the configuration of my vehicle, I can easily zip-tie two of these antennas in place 45 degrees from vertical so they are 'looking' out the rearmost side windows, each feeding its own AWUS036H. I don't consider this an ideal setup, but on my test course they picked up 1030 APs, compared to the MobileMark's 950. Not a fantastic improvement, but an improvement nonetheless. Unfortunately this arrangement is dependent on the unique configuration of my vehicle model and isn't practical for everyone, so I guess the lesson is to consider your vehicle configuration and whether you can use it to your advantage.

Unless I can dream up some other spectacular arrangement, I'm planning on using this setup along with two MobileMarks on the roof for a AWUS036NH and a AWUS051NH.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.
After reviewing my kismet logs, it seems that the 5dbi mobile mark antenna on the roof is still more sensitive than these two 12dbi antennas inside the car windows. But they're sensitive enough that I still use them to supplement the roof antenna; they pick up the occasional unique packet due to channel hop.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”