Need advice on building a full spectrum wifi wardriving rig

The gear needed for wardriving

9 posts • Page 1 of 1
So, as the title says, I'd really like to have rig to cover all of the possible wifi channels (2.4 & 5ghz), full time so it won't need to hop and possibly miss things in between. Now I already have enough adapters to cover every channel in the 2.4 spectrum (1-13), I now need to stock up on 5ghz adapters and wondering if it's really necessary to get an adapter to cover every 20mhz channel OR if the radio was in put in 80mhz mode, would it pick up beacons from all four 20mhz channels? I suppose I could set up a test lab to figure it out, but if someone has the solution, I'd appreciate it.

Also, any suggestions for compatible USB adapters? It should have an external antenna connection if I ever need it, but even a recommended chip set would be helpful.

I plan on adding a few rtl-sdrs, and multiple gsm/cdma tower sniffers next..

Thanks!
As I understand it initial authentication/handshake is always done on 2.4 Ghz for Wifi and the optimum receivers would be 4 unit's Alfa's are the go to devices three of them set to specific channels 1 -- 6 -- 11 and one hopping all channels, coverage allows for a little overlap between the freq's used. Once the devices authenticated then they push up to the 5Ghz spectrum.

A Wigle csv export can be imported into QGIS which is an excellent opensource mapping application.
Last edited by Chatter-Static on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
we're working (albeit slowly) on an actual ground-covered export for WiGLE on Android as well - GPX export.
As I understand it initial authentication/handshake is always done on 2.4 Ghz for Wifi and the optimum receivers would be 4 unit's Alfa's are the go to devices three of them set to specific channels 1 -- 6 -- 11 and one hopping all channels, coverage allows for a little overlap between the freq's used. Once the devices authenticated then they push up to the 5Ghz spectrum.
This is definitely not true. There are ways for dual-band APs to push a dual-band client that initially connected to 2.4 up to the 5G version of the same SSID (if available), but beaconing and handshaking take place independently in-band. 802.11a devices that do not have 2.4G radios at all wouldn't work on dual-band APs otherwise. Likewise for those of us who run different SSIDs for each band and/or have certain APs only operating on 5G. Those are entirely invisible to 2.4G-only devices.
Amateur Radio operators in the US have access to additional 2.4 and 5.2ghz frequencies not normally tuned by regulated wireless configurations. I started researching this as I am a licensed ham, several more channels not being captured ;)
------------------------------------------------
amateur radio, wifi enthusiast
This is definitely not true. There are ways for dual-band APs to push a dual-band client that initially connected to 2.4 up to the 5G version of the same SSID (if available), but beaconing and handshaking take place independently in-band. 802.11a devices that do not have 2.4G radios at all wouldn't work on dual-band APs otherwise. Likewise for those of us who run different SSIDs for each band and/or have certain APs only operating on 5G. Those are entirely invisible to 2.4G-only devices.
I am happy with my Kismet set up combined with my phone because I have an adapter dedicated to 5Hhz but the 2.4Ghz adapters pick them up sooner but I find that helps with triangulation in qgis.

I would like to find a low gain antenna not high to reduce the range of one of my 2.4Ghz adapters.

My like of Kismet is finding all the clients as well, it would be nice if wigle did this on one of the phones that supports monitor mode.
So, as the title says, I'd really like to have rig to cover all of the possible wifi channels (2.4 & 5ghz), full time so it won't need to hop and possibly miss things in between. Now I already have enough adapters to cover every channel in the 2.4 spectrum (1-13), I now need to stock up on 5ghz adapters and wondering if it's really necessary to get an adapter to cover every 20mhz channel OR if the radio was in put in 80mhz mode, would it pick up beacons from all four 20mhz channels? I suppose I could set up a test lab to figure it out, but if someone has the solution, I'd appreciate it.

Also, any suggestions for compatible USB adapters? It should have an external antenna connection if I ever need it, but even a recommended chip set would be helpful.

I plan on adding a few rtl-sdrs, and multiple gsm/cdma tower sniffers next..

Thanks!
This doesn't' answer your specific question, but this project might help in general with what you are trying to do because of the similar goals in mind

http://palshack.org/the-hashtag-wifi-ca ... ef-con-25/

here is a summery of the project that was done at defcon:
Spicer wanted to find out how many people were actually getting attacked over Wi-Fi at DEF CON, and how. To do that he built a setup so powerful it couldn’t be ignored. He talked to Hak5, a company that makes a popular Wi-Fi monitoring device called the Pineapple Tetra, and the company sent him 40 Pineapples in the mail. He ended up using 25, two radios on each, to cover all the activity on every Wi-Fi channel at DEF CON.

Spicer mounted his Frankensteined creation on a backpacking frame, and schlepped around the convention. The Wi-Fi cactus has a range of about 100 meters and a battery life of about two hours. It was monitoring 14,000 devices at its peak ...
^ from https://theoutline.com/post/2017/this-g ... i=33ydvyza
Does Vistumbler allow for this? Why can't I just plug in two USB Wifi adapters and let Vistumbler do the rest?
Howdy! I'm a long time lurker but noob War Driving Grey Hat Shenanigans causing script kiddy if you will and I'm recieving my first WiFi Pineapple monday and I was wondering if anyone could/would give me any advice on how best to utilize it along with my phone and pc. I know that I can hook up the pineapple to my phone so it'll have GPS attatched to the data, and as I plan on doing my War Driving while riding the bus to no particular place I was wanting advice/tips/fun things to do with my new hardware

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”