Network Location Provider

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby deadeye244 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Background: In the Wigle WiFi Android App settings, there is a checkbox called "Use Network Location Provider".
Question: If this option is enabled, does the app no longer use GPS for location? OR Does it use a hybrid of both GPS Location and Network location?

Postby arkasha » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:27 pm

It disables network location, forcing your device to use only GPS locations (possibly improving accuracy by avoiding drift in the Google location database, if you're worried about the reliability of their data / want to make sure you use only GPS coordinates).

Since we don't log whether traces are logged using GPS-only or GPS+terrestrial signals, we don't have a way of running stats locally, but we encourage you to see which works better in your own devices/circumstances.

Postby OliVDB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:30 pm

It's useful for some people whose network location may be far away; for example, I'm in Russia right now, and my network locates me 350km from where I am now. In these cases, you're glad to be able to switch to GPS mode!

Postby TheInfernoX » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:13 pm

It disables network location, forcing your device to use only GPS locations (possibly improving accuracy by avoiding drift in the Google location database, if you're worried about the reliability of their data / want to make sure you use only GPS coordinates).

Since we don't log whether traces are logged using GPS-only or GPS+terrestrial signals, we don't have a way of running stats locally, but we encourage you to see which works better in your own devices/circumstances.

Just to clarify, does checking the checkbox "Use Network Location Provider" disable network location, or does unchecking disable it?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”