Creating a driving rig

The gear needed for wardriving

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ag-spike » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:15 pm

I have been inspired by designer2k2 work (https://www.designer2k2.at/en/mods/elek ... ving-setup) to create a car rig that I could mount on/under my parcel shelf. Having never worked with raspberry Pi or Linux really, this will be new to me, hence why I am thinking of using his project as my jumping off point. My questions are such that how easy would it be for me to construct this project and set it up to my choosing or is there suggestions to what rig would be good for me to start with?
My aims are simply geo-locating as many WiFi and Bluetooth as I can in a simple running manner that will auto start and shutdown with the car, maybe on a timer with a Pi UPS shield? Would it be possible to auto-upload or with it require an SD card removal to upload? Can I control from a phone / webpage if I need to make changes? Is it possible to set the scan rates?
Any help or support, or a pre-made setup I could buy and play with, please let me know.

Postby arkasha » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:43 pm

well, you've come to the right place! I won't presume to choose between the many projects posted to this forum, but a search for "rig" should give you a fun survey!

Assuming you're using modern kismet, you'll need more than a pi W zero (I use 2016 kismet on one of those with an eInk display as a "key fob" stumbler), you'll need a larger PI. Among the posts you'll find are shutdown and startup scripts, wiring to shutdown and startup, and all kinda of interesting adapter and antenna configurations.

Postby Noxmiles » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Can kismet export the data directly to Wigle?

Well, looking on the Upload page... Gosh, that is really nice. Didn't know that so many formats are supported. No Android App needed.
Types supported:

DStumbler: text output
G-Mon: .kml, .txt output
inSSIDer: kml output
Kismac: native (.kismac), text, kml output
Kismet: .csv, .xml, .netxml, .gps, .gpsxml, .nettxt, CWGD output
MacStumbler: plist xml, wiscan format
NetStumbler: native (.ns1), text, wiscan, summary
Pocket Warrior: Text output
Wardrive-Android: kml output
WiFiFoFum: kml, kmz output
WiFi-Where: ns1, kml, csv output. Now available on Cydia (iphone/ipad jailbreak)
Wigle Wifi Wardriving: csv output
Consolidated.db: This is an sqlite file that is synced from an iphone/ipad to a host computer (prior to iOS 4.3.3).
---
Group TRON is searching for users.

Postby arkasha » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:59 pm

worth noting that recent Kismet has a proper WiGLE export tool, as well! (dragorn rocks)

Postby pretenda » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:20 am

worth noting that recent Kismet has a proper WiGLE export tool, as well! (dragorn rocks)

What's better Vistumbler or Kismet for Wigle reporting?

Postby wpa3 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:49 pm

What's better Vistumbler or Kismet for Wigle reporting?
I would say Kismet, depends on what harerdware you plan to run it on.
Kismet is pretty powerful.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”