Kismet drone on wireless router? (e.g. Linksys WRT54GL)

The gear needed for wardriving

6 posts • Page 1 of 1
I've just dusted off two Linksys WRT54GL, and noticed some older posts enthusiastic about their radio capabilities.
However, for setting up Kismet on this hardware, I only found decade-old instructions and Kismet MIPS binaries from 2004...
Has anybody recently set up a WRT54GL as a Kismet drone and could give me some pointers? Thanks.
Last edited by qascnjzd on Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby qascnjzd » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:44 pm

Update: I gave up on trying to get 20y old hardware running with 10y old software...

However, I'm still looking for Kismet drone options with a price tag in the lower two digits, i.e. comparable to a Raspberry Pi plus wifi adapter.
And while the Pi would definititely be an option, I'd naively assume that hardware specialized in radio communication might be more sensitive, e.g. a wireless router.

Can anybody shed some light on whether this assumption is naive or actually true, possibly even with some hardware recommendation? Thanks.
I don't think a wireless router is better or more capable than some wifi card.
Some wifi card have a very long range. with the good driver they do a perfect job.

Yes a wireless router could do the job of a rpi +wifi card to host a kismet drone , but and old 4M/32M (ram/flash) is limited hardware.
May be you could try to cross-compile a kismet drone for your WRT54GL. given you can run it on it.

I was pointed to this list https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/bl ... rt_List.md
Though, I found that most on this list are hard to find, and only one of them is available on my local amazon store.

So, yes why not use a second hand wireless router (or accesss point) with openwrt; but may better than the 4/32, despised by openwrt
I've just dusted off two Linksys WRT54GL, and noticed some older posts enthusiastic about their radio capabilities.
However, for setting up Kismet on this hardware, I only found decade-old instructions and Kismet MIPS binaries from 2004...mini crossword
Has anybody recently set up a WRT54GL as a Kismet drone and could give me some pointers? Thanks.
An outdated wireless router with only 4M/32M (ram/flash) might host a kismet drone instead of a Raspberry Pi + wifi card.
If you can get Kismet running on your WRT54GL, you could theoretically try cross-compiling a drone for it.
I built one 10+ years ago. Recently found that digital signage PCs are more suitable. I've rescued three Giada VM23 boxes from the e-waste. Add a cheap USB GPS and you are good as bluetooth and wifi is built in. Three additional USB ports for more wifi adapters. Runs of 12v with a barrel plug. Easy to make a cigarette power plug adapter. I see many go for about $20.

Many was sold with only 1 year Windows 10 IOT, so quickly EOL. Kali runs well on it, even with three radios, two gps and graphical user interface.
I built one 10+ years ago. Recently found that digital signage PCs are more suitable. I've rescued three Giada VM23 boxes from the e-waste. Add a cheap USB GPS and you are good as bluetooth and wifi is built in. Three additional USB ports for more wifi adapters. Runs of 12v with a barrel plug. Easy to make a cigarette power plug adapter. I see many go for about $20.

Many was sold with only 1 year Windows 10 IOT, so quickly EOL. Kali runs well on it, even with three radios, two gps and graphical user interface.
It's impressive how you repurposed older hardware effectively for digital signage. The Giada VM23 boxes, coupled with USB GPS and additional WiFi adapters, offer versatile functionality. Kali Linux's compatibility breathes new life into these devices, extending their utility beyond their original scope.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”