Not Real Active

The gear needed for wardriving

28 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby Chuckster » Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:21 am

I guess these fourms have not taken off yet...

Sigh....

chuckster...

Postby bobzilla » Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:47 pm

Yeah, i wrote the forum stuff just for fun, it still needs some more work with data organization, having different pages when there's too many threads going, being able to expand and contract threads, etc. The suggestions list has had decent traffic on it, i would like to seem them used more. Maybe we need more categories? Maybe the list engine just needs more improvement to be usable? It'd be fun trying to write a slashdot like engine. $wheel->rounder()
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby Chuckster » Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:02 am

Hey, its all good people are using it.. In factr its about the only place
I can post... For some reason I can no longer post to NS weird...

It will grow...

Now to get on the FORM TOPIC...

HARDWARE:

hyperlink-tech 7.5dbi Omni Mobil on a mag mount
19" hyperlink-tech pigtail ( i think I am on number 3 )
Lucent Orinoco Wireless card with firmware ver. 8.x
Toshiba Satellite 1805-274s with XP Pro
Garmin GPSmap76 with power/data cable, and external Antenna
Misc other antennas...
600watt inverter to power laptop(s) and other gear.

Postby bobzilla » Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:54 am

I use an IBM T20 with an Orinoco Gold, 8dbi omni antenna, 500mW amplifier, Garmin GPS III, and an inverter. i've got a giant 24dbi parabolic grid directional antenna, but haven't been able to play with it much yet. i need a rooftop... :)

Postby Chuckster » Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:39 am

Yo, don't you think that 500mw is a little overkill.. I mean AP will be
able to hear you that you won't be able to hear right?

Damn... I do nolt even want to think about the math on 500mw, + 8db omni...

Chuckster :)...

I bet you find alot of ap's tho..

Postby bobzilla » Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:37 pm

The legal limit is 1 watt, but those are very expensive. The 802.11 amps are bi-directional so your transmit and receive is amplified. And yes, it works pretty well. :)

Postby mentat » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:38 am

Does anyone know where I can pick one of these up relatively cheap. I love the one I have from work, but I want one of my own to put WiGLE stickers on and such.

Postby bobzilla » Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:47 am

I put a WiGLE.net sticker next to a pikachu sticker on my work T20. Peeling it off will be someone elses problem once i'm gone. :)

A friend got an X23, it's like a T20 just tinier, and his has built-in 802.11b. Very sexy. Don't think you can get either for too cheap tho. :(

Postby gw » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:08 am

You can find an X20 for around $500. It is the same form factor as the x23, but has a P600, and 20G....

The CF slot and PCMCIA slot are nice though...

Postby hratch » Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:25 pm

what is netstumbler using and defcon...vBulletin?

Postby bobzilla » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:17 pm

Yeah, it looks like that's what it is. $160 for a perminant license. It's pretty nice tho. Maybe we should spruce up this forum's tech and go into the software business. :)

Postby Dec0de » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:56 am

You might want to check out YABB - Yet another bulletin board... it's ok, and absolutly free.

Postby Dec0de » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:08 am

You might want to check out YABB - Yet another bulletin board... it's ok, and absolutly free.
You are allowed up to 30 dBm or 1 watt of Transmitter Power Output (TPO) with a 6 dBi antenna or 36 dBm or 4 watts Effective Radiated Power over an isotropic antenna (EIRP). The TPO needs to be reduced 1 dB for every dB of antenna gain over 6 dBi.

This simplifies it somewhat:
Max Antenna Input Power (dBm) Antenna Gain (dBi) EIRP (dBm)
30 6 36
29 9 38

500mw is = 27dBm. Add effective output of you card and the extra 2 dBi gain of your antenna you will easily be over the 36dBm EIRP wich is the max allowed.

Postby hratch » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:11 pm

Also consider signal loss from connections, feed line.

.5 dB from each connector, and how many dB/foot from the feeder line to the antenna?

28 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”