I really want an opinion on this card/antenna

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

To me, it looks like a good deal. Prism chipset means it will work great with dstumbler, 200mw means it will go further, and the rubber ducky antenna means I'll be ahead of the game until I can find a good mag mount antenna to go with it. Links to good mag-mounts are welcome too!

This will only be my wardriving card. I'm more than happy with my Linksys WPC11 (prism 3) for daily use, and BSD does not like Prism 2.5 cards when using WEP for some reason. Hopefully that will get fixed soon.

Postby mycroft » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:45 am

the senao is what I've been using for a couple of years now. you can also find them at http://netgate.com/ "branded" as engenius if you'd like a definite new one. I think I picked my first one up at defcon 10 from schmoo, but I've purchased from netgate as well. openbsd liked mine, even with WEP. however, make sure if you're going to use it for stumbling under *BSD that your favorite package supports it. i use an orinoco for that, so I can't say I know it works.

Postby ax0n » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Are you using OpenBSD 3.5 with all the patches? I am... I know a LOT of BSD's have problems with Prism 2.5 and WEP, but they didn't used to... I wish I knew what broke, but I am way too lazy to diff kernel sources.

Anyhow, thanks for your reply. I know about the Engenius ones too. dstumbler loved my D-Link DWL650 (Prism 2.5) and Linksys WPC11v3 (Prism 3.0) cards. Prism 3 w/ WEP works great on my stumble box. I'll probably just use the Senao (or Engenius) card for stumbling if I can't make it work with WEP.

Postby mycroft » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:09 am

heh, sorry for the delay. I don't check the forums that much anymore. Last I used the card was under 3.3 fully patched up. I have retired the laptop I had open on for the most part, so it hasn't been up'd in a while, and my infra servers make really lousy portable stumbling rigs. they're a little heavy. hope the card works out for you. remember that if you're going to amp a senao card, keep in mind that it's already a 200mw card... it isn't a 60mw orinoco :)

Postby ax0n » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:52 pm

I wouldn't dare amp it, just use a good omni antenna. :)

Thanks for the info. I still am leery about buying it with the WEP problem in Open with P2.5 cards. I have better stuff to burn cash on right now anyways.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”