Driving kit

The gear needed for wardriving

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:53 am

I got 802.11 wireless card, no antenna. Is the enough to war-drive. It is good for walking but what about driving pretty fast.

Postby boyo » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:04 am

I just use a little cheap netgear usb card and it works just fine, i picked up about 100 networks between dayton and cincinnati with it going down then highway.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:42 am

Mine is not usb it is cardbus.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:44 am

Will cardbus work with no antenna like you said

Postby Jay911 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:23 am

I use an HP ZD7000 which has its own built-in card and antenna - no extension antenna capable. I find a good number of sites, many of which while I'm going at highway speeds.

I'm trying to set up a smaller laptop as a driving rig, but NS apparently doesn't like the latest Linksys PCMCIA card.

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe NS has an option you can select that will change its sampling rates based upon your speed - as viewed by the amount of distance between each plot your GPS sends to the computer.

I have been going 100 km/hr (60mph) and picked up sites no problem.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:54 am

I have no GPS dose it matter

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:56 am

My laptops battery seems to last very short, how came??
Please help

Postby Jay911 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:22 pm

I have no GPS dose it matter
Well, you won't know where the networks are that you're stumbling on. You'll essentially just be collecting a list of names.

And if you don't have a GPS, the program won't know your speed - so it won't search more often if you are going faster. *IF* I understand that part of the operation correctly.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:33 pm

I
Well, you won't know where the networks are that you're stumbling on.
Ever heard of "war-chork", hense the work chork!!

Postby Jay911 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:52 pm

Ever heard of "war-chork", hense the work chork!!
If you mean warchalking, yeah, I've heard of it.

But since the original poster was talking about "driving pretty fast", I would hope they're not going to try to chalk at the same time.

Postby ax0n » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:44 am

Well, WiGLE's primary score is based on the amount of AP's you found with GPS information. After all it's the Wireless GEOGRAPHICAL Logging Engine, it needs coordinates in order to put your finds on a map.

If you upload your logs you will still be shown as obvserving AP's, and it will show up in your stats as "All networks recorded"

Postby bobzilla » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:45 am

not that "warchalking" was anything more than a joke that a bored reporter thought was some wild exclusive

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”