Getting Kismet up and running for n00bs

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know of a tutorial or walkthrough or whatnot on how to get Kismet up and running with GPS? I've never used Linux before (well I have a little, but don't know much about it at all), and got the Knoppix STD live CD... I opened Kismet and it found 42 APs, in comparison to the 14 that Netstumbler found with the same laptop, same card, same location, so naturally I want to switch over. I can't for the life of me, however, figure out a few things. 1) How to get GPS going. I have a USB GPS mouse that works as a virtual COM port on Windows, but don't know how to get that kind of config up in Linux. 2) How to set it to save log files to my hard drive, so that when I reboot to Windows, I can upload them here. Any help or links to sites that cover this in simple terms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Postby argh » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:09 am

hi, i do not know about your USB GPS, but the kismet.conf file sets where the logs are kept. if you are using knoppix-std you can create a persistent home directory on HD, floppy or USB key. if you store the log files in a persistent home directory, the kismet logs can then be read by Windows. in STD you can edit kismet.conf from the menus.

the GPS requires gpsd running in the background, before you start kismet. you will have to feed it some parameters, usually the device (could be /dev/usb?) and speed, (often 4800). an easy way to experiment with gpsd is to run the very nice gpsdrive program that is included with kismet (and on the knoppix-STD disc). there are menu choices to configure and start/stop gpsd. once you get it all working, gpsdrive has some

a good first place would be the kismet documentation. the kismet author, Dragorn is very active for help in the kismet forums. you probably should not be asking 'how do i make Linux run' questions there, however.

hope this helps!

Postby NetBandit » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:12 am

I have the BU-303 USB GPS Mouse and it is a standard usb to serial driver, that should be genericly available in linux.

from the windows driver .inf file:
; SERWPL.INF - INF file for USB-to-Serial Device
; Copyright (C) 2001, Prolific Technology Inc.

as a last resort, you can look here:
http://tech.prolific.com.tw/visitor/v_filebrw.asp

I havent actually used mine yet in linux, but since you are using knoppix, i'll download it and give it a try real soon.

-NB

Postby seinman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:05 am

I ended up getting it working through reading a chapter of a wardriving book (the one that Thorn over on the netstumbler board wrote) to get GPS working, and a hell of a lot of googling to get the rest down. Now it boots to Knoppix, and basically I type a bunch of commands to get it all set up how I want. I guess my next search will be to learn how to write scripts!

Postby NetBandit » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:20 am

I just finished downloading knoppix. you running 3.7?

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”