XP VS LINUX

The gear needed for wardriving

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby photon6786 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:59 pm

Well, I bought me a new dell inspiron 9200. I am a noobie at this pretty much. I have a orinoco wireless b gold classic card with an antenna I put on top of the vehicle. I can work xp with my eyes closed, i am very comfortable with it. I use netstumbler right now, but i just basically drive around trying to see where some god spots are located at, never really messed around with any locations yet. I need opinions from you pros on thich you believe is better...XP or linux. I would love to use XP because i rarely have used linux at all. Do I need to get a Mac spoofer...or anything. What are some good tools and software to use while wardriving. Please help anyone :) I really really appreciate it. Thanks all.

Postby photon6786 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:05 pm

Also, is there any way for anyone to find out that I hopped on their network? when i installed xp pro, i did not put in my name anywhere, just named the laptop something random
I use XP and NetStumbler and I have no problems. You have a nice antenna so you will do well. As long as you have a GPS, you're stylin'.

Pureists want to use all the best tools and such, but there is no substitute for doing some major wheeltime.

Have a dual boot to linux to satisfy any additional cravings you have. Keep using XP until you get your linux system working as well or better.

There are a number of FREE tools for windows to let you change your mac address, or you can crawl around in the registry and do it yourself. It doesn't really matter because you are only 'listening' for signals, not connecting (NetStumbler disables Windows Wireless Zero Configuration), and is unable to even browse for networks to join.

I do suggest picking up a copy of GPS Gate. It replicates the data from your GPS Serial port to up to 32 Virtual serial ports. A handy application that will allow you to use a map program, NetStumbler, and any additional programs that use a GPS. It's great. (In linux there is the GPSdaemon which accomplishes the same sort of task).

If you accidently connected to somebody's network, they could see any ethernet frame your system sends... And if your system is setup for DHCP, and the request was granted by the router, the router would have your wireless card's MAC address registered to the IP it handed out.

-NetBandit

Postby photon6786 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Well, lets say I want to learn about war driving... I have driven around, using netstumbler, and gotten on peoples networks before...but havent done anything because I am unsure of what to do excatly. I need some advice >:] Please! :) Thanks very much

Postby NetBandit » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:21 pm

Wardriving is just about the cataloging of wireless networks. What you do with that information is your business, but I don't suggest talking about anything illegal here (like drive-by hacking, or using AP's without permission).

-NetBandit

Postby izzy4505 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:49 pm

Also, is there any way for anyone to find out that I hopped on their network? when i installed xp pro, i did not put in my name anywhere, just named the laptop something random
There is no need for you to be using other people's networks. You obviously have your own connection at your disposal. Using other networks is illegal. It's also entirely possible for you to be detected on someone elses network. Data cannot travel if it cannot be seen somewhere. Do yourself and the rest of the world a favor and mess with your own network, or go knock on the people's doors and ask them if you could use their network. If you are not comfortable telling the people that you use their network then chances are you shouldn't be doing whatever you are doing.
Brad Isbell
brad@musatcha.com
http://www.musatcha.com
[img]http://www.musatcha.com/images/logo.jpg[/img]

Postby ax0n » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:14 pm

... or go knock on the people's doors and ask them if you could use their network.
You should see the look on people's faces when you do this. Fortunately for me, it was someone in my neighborhood that's seen be before, but you walk up, laptop tucked under your arm saying "I couldn't help but notice you've got your wireless wide open to the world, and comcast is down again. Mind if I use your connection from my apartment for a while?"

:shock:

He eventually asked me about it and I explained how wireless works. In exchange for future use of his connection as a backup in case mine went down, I locked his AP down for free.

Anyhow, I'm with the rest. You shouldn't associate with an access point that you haven't been given permission to use. As far as how to "hack" (or be a l33t skr1pt k1dd13) on a network once you're on their wireless? It's no different than if you walked into their lobby and plugged into their network. That kind of stuff is VERY illegal, and it's people doing that stuff that gives all wifi hobbyists a bad name. Fortunately, lots of criminals have been busted for doing that kind of stuff as well, now that authorities are more aware of it.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”