Anyone done stumbling on CE 2.xx/3.xx (not windows mobile)

The gear needed for wardriving

6 posts • Page 1 of 1
I just bought an HP Jornada 680 HPC (Laptop style clamshell PDA) running CE 3.x. I haven't gotten it yet, it's being shipped, but I was wondering if anyone had pointers:

* Good PCMCIA wifi cards to use for CE? Driver availability? This has a full PCMCIA slot on one side and a CF slot that folds into the unit itself, so nothing can stick out of it, which is fine because I'll have a 1GB CF in there :)

* Software? Looks like ministumbler's made for PPC (palm pilot style) PDA's and Windows Mobile, not the older CE, and not 1/2 VGA 640x240 screens

* If no stumbling, I would at least like to get WiFi up for general surfing and whatnot. This will be primarily a recording, note-taking and organizing device, but if I can surf the net in meetings it's a bonus :twisted:

Here's the odd one. I already have this thing's older and less advanced brother, the 320LX. I was able to get a cisco aironet 4800 card working in it for a while but something broke after a few days and I never did get it working again. That's running CE 2.11 though. I still have it but was looking forward to the upgrade to more RAM, better keyboard, color screen, etc.

Postby ax0n » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:45 pm

Well, a little update.

The linksys WPC11v3 drivers loaded fine. It recognizes the card and says it associates. DHCP Can't get an IP, and even if I specify it manually, it's not working. Everything is WEP here though. I might try it at a free coffee shop or shut off WEP for a bit at home to test.

Postby ax0n » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:18 pm

Well, here I am, posting from my Jornada 680 via wifi. I had to use the "unofficial" Chompaq WL100 driver to get the Linksys card up and running right. The linksys driver seemed to be deaf, as it wasn't recieving any packets.

Phase 1 is complete, but I still have to find some stumbling software that runs on this thing.

Postby stavr0 » Tue May 17, 2005 7:57 pm

Well, here I am, posting from my Jornada 680 via wifi.
[...]
I still have to find some stumbling software that runs on this thing.
Have you tried this?
http://www.aspecto-software.com/WiFiFoFum/

Postby ax0n » Tue May 17, 2005 8:50 pm

That says it's for PocketPC 2003. I'm actually using Windows CE 2.11 Pro. I can find several apps for CE3.x, PPC2000-2003 and HPC2000-2003. Nothing runs on CE 2.x tho. :(

Postby frogman » Sat May 21, 2005 9:33 pm

That says it's for PocketPC 2003. I'm actually using Windows CE 2.11 Pro. I can find several apps for CE3.x, PPC2000-2003 and HPC2000-2003. Nothing runs on CE 2.x tho. :(
I ordered an SDK/API kit from MS for CE a while ago. I'll see if I have it still (of course I do, but where did I stick it?) and what versions of CE it supports. You might be able to use source and cross-compile stuff for it on your own. Remind me at intervals so I don't get off track and forget about it. You know me...

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”