another newbie needs help

The gear needed for wardriving

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby boardrider » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:17 pm

Laptop Specs
Inspiron 6000D Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Display 15.4 inch UltraSharp WUXGA LCD Panel
Memory 512MB DDR2 SDRAM 1 Dimm
Video Card 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
Hard Drive 40GB Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps)
Netgear WG511T (802.11 a/b/g/108Mbps)
DeLorme Lt-20 gps unit

Home Network
Netgear WGT624 router

Home Computers
2 home computers and PS2 mini with nic port

Questions
1. I have found some antennas on the internet that mount to your laptop screen or your car. Do these antennas recieve info and are hardwired to the wireless card (IF so how) or do they just boost and bounce the signal?
2. When connecting to my home network I am assuming I should use the netgear card to get the 108Mbps. Am I correct?
3. Can I use my 2 netcards in unison connecting to the same network to amplify the signal? If so is this the bridge option in network places?
4. My apartment was not designed for electronics, or even more than 1 habitants for that matter. My ps2 and 1 computer are in the main living room, and my router is located in the bedroom. Is there such a device that wirelessly connects to my router so i can connect both the ps2 and computer?
5. Do external antennas for routers really add a significant amount of range?
6. what is the difference between wireless routers, access points and bridges? Wiki and wifi?
7. Is it possible to make a public wireless "slot" in my router so that the public can access the net but not my network?

Thank you for your time. Any info is much appreciated. Happy hunting
-boardrider
:D

Postby darkpeng22 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:25 am

Wow. Waiting since June 10th. People around here are not very helpful...

1. via a cable and a pigtail - can't do with either of your cards.
2. unless you have the 108mbps router to go with it. Otherwise, I does not matter.
3. nope and nope.
4. I got an idea: Move the router! So cheaply, no. Get some 100' cat5 cables.
5. Ohhhh yea. - defcon wifi shootout=125mi extra :lol:
6. a wireless router is an access point. don't remember what a bridge is :? , and Wiki it like Wikipedia (google it) and WiFi is wireless. They have nothing to do with each other.
7. Uhhh... I think, with the WRT54G versions 2-4 and an awesome bit of firmware called DD-WRT - read up at http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

Postby i_do_dew » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:17 pm

Questions are answered when time is available to the answeree, and when we feel like it. most of this is in the FAQ

3) no, the signal will not be amplified. Conceivably the data rate could go up, but it wont because of collisions between the two radios transmitting at the same time. Wireless is not a switched network.

4) The ps2 can be hooked in with a bridge or an access point operating in bridge mode. 54M or 108M probably wont make a big difference hooked to your 6M internet connection, so save your dollars. (ohh it says its faster because it comes with a racing stripe!)

A bridge is just that. it bridges from one media type to another. A bridge is a Client device like a card, and like a card - bridges can be linked together peer to peer. The Bridge will allow you to link multiple computers or a hub to an exisiting AP.

A bridge is a dumb device. It takes everything it sees on one side and passes it to the other in both directions. Most wireless bridges Ive seen support up to 50 machines on the 802.3 side, more than most will ever need. They are alos good at connecting network devices like printers which dont have their own wireless capabilities.

5) for a home setup dont worry about the increase range the higher gain antennas will bring they likely wont do you any good, unless your bank account is too heavy, then Im sure the WiGLE group could use some donations.

6) no 'slot'. since you seem to have such a little amount of networking knowledge I'm guessing you are already providing public access, why complicate things for them.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”