Anyone know if the DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter works?

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

Got an iBook G4 and looking to buy a Dlink DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter.

Does anyone know if it works with Kismac? I want to get something with 802.11G because I'm living here in Spain and its all 802.11G here.

Thanks,

Rob

Postby dino9832 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:27 pm

I've had success in getting the Dlink DWL-G122 to work with Fedora 2 as long as it's the H/W Ver.: B1.
http://satlug.org/~dino/notes/dlinkg122.html
The driver just went beta, but I have not tried the beta yet.
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads
For the G usb sticks you would want the rt2570 drivers.

Postby Caleçon » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:32 am

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a PowerBook G4 and a DWL-G122. I've managed to get it to work with the Radlink chipset drivers, but I can't get KisMAC to passive-scan with it. Every time I try, it just gives me the same USB Prism2 error.

I'm also a huge newbie...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Postby ax0n » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:02 am

My G122 works great in OpenBSD... for wireless access (uses the ural driver)

The problem you'll encounter with scanning software is that most of it communicates directly to the adapter and does not use the kernel driver. So, just because the OS can see the device, does not mean that your stumbling software has any clue what to do with said device.

The USB D-Ling DWL-G122's are not prism or orinoco based, so programs written to use these cards specifically won't work on the G122.

For KisMAC, if someone made a loadable driver like the MacJACK etc, you could probably make it work.

Postby wrzwaldo » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:11 pm

My G122 works great in OpenBSD... for wireless access (uses the ural driver)

The problem you'll encounter with scanning software is that most of it communicates directly to the adapter and does not use the kernel driver. So, just because the OS can see the device, does not mean that your stumbling software has any clue what to do with said device.

The USB D-Ling DWL-G122's are not prism or orinoco based, so programs written to use these cards specifically won't work on the G122.

For KisMAC, if someone made a loadable driver like the MacJACK etc, you could probably make it work.

Correct...

Two that I know of are

KA2-DWLG122B1 = RaLink

and

KA2-DWLG122D1 = Marvell

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”