Newbie help, Navman 4400 code

The gear needed for wardriving

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby zdduke99 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:06 pm

I recently purchased a Navman 4400 GPS device and would like to use it on my laptop. I have read from other threads that people have sucessfully connected this device to a Bluetooth dongle on thier laptop and used it with different mapping software. What I am curious is if anyone has written thier own code for querying the gps device for thier position? I do not want to use any mapping software but write my own code using the position queried from the GPS device. Has anyone been able to do this?

Postby uhtu » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:23 pm

does it speak nmea? there is a wealth of code out in the wild for querying position/info/etc from nmea devices (most GPSen do speak that in one mode or another)

Postby zdduke99 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:04 pm

I am pretty sure it does, from what I have read from other forums. I just have not been able to find any code (even simple code) that connects to a NMEA device and make simple queries.

Postby uhtu » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:27 pm

seek out "gpsd" in your favorite search engine.

Postby zdduke99 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:19 pm

Has anyone done anything similar to this in windows?

Postby izzy4505 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:21 am

NMEA is a one way protocol. You can use your favorite terminal app to connect to it. It should show up as a virtual serial port in some fashion, whether it's labeled as that or not. In win32, fire up hyperminal. Maybe minicom in linux or something like that. 4800,8,n,1 are the settings you're going to want to use probably. Once you've opened the right port, and your GPS is functioning properly, it should cough up a whole bunch of stuff every second or so, with no input from the user necessary.

There is various software out there for reading basic GPS data. If you'd like, I could slap something together using the GPS modules I've written for my WiGLE client software. Just let me know, and I'll put something together for you if needed.
Brad Isbell
brad@musatcha.com
http://www.musatcha.com
[img]http://www.musatcha.com/images/logo.jpg[/img]

Postby zdduke99 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:55 am

I was able to connect to it with some Java code that I wrote. Thanks for you willingness to help though, much appreciated.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”