My Wardriving rig

The gear needed for wardriving

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Cjaiceman » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:27 am

I saw everyone else was posting their wardriving rigs on here and though I should as well to see if anyone has any opinions.

Laptop: Gateway M320XL (XP Pro)
Wireless Card: Orinoco/Proxim 802.11B/G
Antenna:
1) 8.5dBi (http://sharperconcepts.zoovy.com/product/YSC-HG2409MGU)
2) 7dBi (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6&tc=photo)
I use #1 with a 1 Watt amplifier sometimes, other times I use the 7dBi. The amplifier is (http://sharperconcepts.zoovy.com/produc ... RTGXI-1000)
GPS: Garmin E-Trex (nothing special, but gets the job done)

The antenna is mounted on a full size pickup so its nice and high in the air. I do usually get so many access points that I wonder if its overlooking any? I use netstumber for the software.

~Chris~

Postby Schwa-D-Alien » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:54 am

Netstumbler does overlook networks because it has to do some probing (exposing itself) and otherwise slows itself down quite a bit, depending on what it's doing and how fast your system is... It also doesn't scan for hidden networks or other probes, clients etc...

I switched to Kismet and the scanning is noticeably faster, as well as the number of networks that I was finding with the same equipment. It was reasonably easy with my laptop, even though it's a bit old (p400), MEPIS worked perfectly with my hardware, and Kismet is in the Debian archives so it's easy to install.

Looks like you've got a nice setup, other than the software. 8)

Postby Cjaiceman » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:10 pm

I've been looking into doing linux along with windows on my laptop. For a beginner what would you recommend? I have used Knopix and Knopix-STD Live cd's before.

Postby bhoberg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:14 am

Knoppix STD is a good distro, I would also recommend the Auditor Security Collection from Remote-Exploit. You can find more about it here:
http://new.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Auditor_main

Auditor is a very nice collection of security software including kismet as well as a ton of other stuff and is a Knoppix flavor. My only problem has been getting the Orinoco Card I have to work but that's just because I'm a complete Linux newbie. I was able to dual load it on my Inspiron 7500 with windows xp SP2. I used Partition Magic to boot from the Partition Manager floppy, created the two partitions for Linux and Auditor was able to figure everything else out, it was a snap. Now if I could just figure out how to use the damn thing :P
-bhoberg

Postby mars246 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Gateway 400vtx laptop
orinoco gold card
5.5 db lucent omni ant.
Laptop runs Slackware 10.1 on a custom 2.6.12.2 kerenl
gpsd with delorme earthmate usb Lt-20
kismet + gpsdrive + mysql to give a street map with ap overlayed
Columbia,sc

Postby SuperGeek » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:55 pm

OK, I use my rig for more than just "Stumbling" around, I also use it extensively for Geocaching and for additional audio space (MP3s) for my car stereo. OK here's my rig. I'm a bit older then most of you so I have a bit more that I can spend on these toys. My rig is as follows:

Xenarc MP-SC8 Car Computer with PCMCIA port
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz Prescott CPU 800Mhz FSB
2GB PC3200 RAM
Pioneer DVR-K15 DVD Burner Though this model was replaced very quickly after it came out by the DVR-K16
Hitachi 100 GB 7200 RPM 2.5" Hard drive
Xenarc 700TSV - 7 inch LCD Monitor with Touch Screen
Garmin GPSMap 60CS running through USB though and not serial
Franson's GPSGate for Windows to convert the USB GPS signals to multiple virtual COM Ports

I am now in the middle of modifying my dash so that I move my Stereo (Sony MEX-1HD - Great stereo, out of production though) down where the ashtray/cigarette lighter used to be, and installing the monitor where the stereo and little cubby whole originally was.I also just ordered a new "Roof top GPS/Cellular/PCS/WiFi antenna" since I did insta; complete hands free in my car, and my previous glass mount antenna got ripped off the windshield while I was driving off road and through some low tree branches. I am currently using a NETGEAR Cardbus controller, but I am looking to get something else since it soesn't have an external antenna port.

I also use a Dell Inspiron 9300 2Ghz Pentium M with internal Intel 2915 a/b/g card and the same GPS and software setup when I am in my wife's car.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”