sticky or reviews of hardware

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Zachariah » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:09 am

I just ordered a laptop and I'm looking for a GPS unit now, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to start looking for.

I wish there was a sticky in this forum with (for example) lists of GPS hardware ... maybe even ranked like:

1. Money-is-no-concern best
example 1
example 2
2. Best bang-for-your-buck
example a
example b
3. Absolute cheapest, but still will function
example i
example ii

Personally ...
Right now I have a laptop with a built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 a/b/g Wireless Card. I am starting with Windows XP PRo, but plan to install a flavor of linux or BSD on it as well.

I can see the benefits of either using a PCMCIA card GPS or a stand-alone GPS. If it's stand-alone I don't think I'd need color ('cause I could just use the laptop screen), but it wouldn't hurt.

I probably would want the stand-alone model so I could use it whenever I go for day hikes.
Mozilla!

Postby bobzilla » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:52 am

Funny, we were recently talking about some kind of hardware review section, maybe with some side by side comparisons or something. Could pry start that with a forum section, see if it gets any traction.

Postby chaffed » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:24 am

Would this double as a matrix for hardware and software that is good for war driving?

Postby theprez98 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:23 pm

I have a Magellan Meridian Plantinum. It's total overkill for wardriving, but if you have other hobbies like geocaching, it's a great GPS. There is a color version but IMHO it doesn't add much to it. Great functionality/features and of course you must have NMEA.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”