Antenna Gurus: What seems to be missing in this picture?

The gear needed for wardriving

26 posts • Page 2 of 2

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:54 am

RF-LOS not visual LOS.
At 2.4 GHz yes, they are the same.
They are certainly NOT!

Just because you can see the target does not mean at 2400MHz you have LOS! Get a clue.

FRESNEL ZONE (sometimes freznel) - an area around the path that should be kept clear of all reflective surfaces so that out of phase/delayed phase signals are not received that have been reflected off of such surfaces. Caution must be used in determining such surfaces. Water is obvious, however tree growth or even a low lying inversion layer over farmland can cause problems if it enters the freznel zone.

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/wireless/fresnel.htm

Have a nice day.

Postby bkoonce » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:07 am

At 2.4 GHz yes, [propagation of RF energy] are the same [as propagation of visible light].
They are certainly NOT!
Well...I guess it settles that! After all, you shouted "NOT", which is indisputable proof...not. :roll:
Just because you can see the target does not mean at 2400MHz you have LOS! Get a clue.
Any moron can make a vague claim, followed by a vague insult. I'm not impressed. Also, you're not helping Maria at all. Don't you have a bridge to lurk under or something?

(I see no reason to comment on the quote that can't be found anywhere in the link provided. So far nobody who has cited the Fresnel Effect has exhibited a shred of knowledge about the subject matter, so I'll dismiss it as yet another case of "Professor Google" posturing.)

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:47 am

At 2.4 GHz yes, [propagation of RF energy] are the same [as propagation of visible light].
They are certainly NOT!
Well...I guess it settles that! After all, you shouted "NOT", which is indisputable proof...not. :roll:
Any moron can make a vague claim, followed by a vague insult. I'm not impressed. Also, you're not helping Maria at all. Don't you have a bridge to lurk under or something?

(I see no reason to comment on the quote that can't be found anywhere in the link provided. So far nobody who has cited the Fresnel Effect has exhibited a shred of knowledge about the subject matter, so I'll dismiss it as yet another case of "Professor Google" posturing.)
Whatever. :roll:

The quote is not from that link. And that link was to help you understand the freznel (Fresnel, the "S" is silent) zone. Because it looks as if you have limited knowledge on the subject.

I guess you have setup many wireless links in real-world situations (or were they all in fantasy land?)

And this was helping?
BTW, this is a line-of-sight deal. If you can't see the other antenna, all the gain in the world isn't going to help you.
Not hardly. But hey stick with it you'll get it one day!

Postby bkoonce » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:25 am

wrzwaldo, your constant use of the argumentum ad hominem in lieu of any substantive, on-topic discussion is ample proof that you're nothing but an empty-headed poseur with nothing to contribute to this forum. Do us all a favor and go back to your bridge, you troll.

There's no shame in not knowing something. However starting a battle of wits completely unarmed is really lame.

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:42 am

wrzwaldo, your constant use of the argumentum ad hominem in lieu of any substantive, on-topic discussion is ample proof that you're nothing but an empty-headed poseur with nothing to contribute to this forum. Do us all a favor and go back to your bridge, you troll.

There's no shame in not knowing something. However starting a battle of wits completely unarmed is really lame.
You are so full of yourself... I hope your employment (if you are employed) has nothing at all to do with public safety. I gave plenty of on topic info via the link for "Fresnel" that you fail to understand (Remember 'Why Line of Sight is not enough'). So hows about you go elsewhere to mislead people. Don't worry you won't be missed here.

Postby scruge » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:37 pm

Needless to say, obstructions (such as the neighboring building that was mentioned) that lie smack dab in the middle of the line of sight don't need anything as esoteric as the Fresnel Effect to explain...
No need to get your panties in a bunch.

After all the original post wasn't very clear as to what stood between him and the source. His first test took place looking out his first story window. He only mentions the existence of an adjacent building. He never said whether it was between him and source signal or how tall it was. Next he's on top of a 5 story building and then his boy friends 20th floor apartment.
You made an assumption that he never had LOS. Waldo's reminder of the Fresnel (with silent S) zone was to cover the possibility of having LOS.

Postby bkoonce » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:36 am

No need to get your panties in a bunch.
Oh, great...another jerk. :roll:
After all the original post wasn't very clear as to what stood between him and the source. His first test took place looking out his first story window. He only mentions the existence of an adjacent building. He never said whether it was between him and source signal or how tall it was. Next he's on top of a 5 story building and then his boy friends 20th floor apartment.
You made an assumption that he never had LOS. Waldo's reminder of the Fresnel (with silent S) zone was to cover the possibility of having LOS.
So Maria is a man?!?!?!? Wow! Well if that's the case, you obviously know Maria well enough to have a handle on the situation. You could share that knowledge in a constructive manner, or...

My guess is that Maria is in fact not a homosexual male, and that you just didn't bother to pay much attention to what the post said. Pot, kettle, black. You're about the last person to accuse someone of making assumptions!

It's back under the bridge for you too.

Postby scruge » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Oh, great...another jerk. :roll:

So Maria is a man?!?!?!? Wow! Well if that's the case, you obviously know Maria well enough to have a handle on the situation. My guess is that Maria is in fact not a homosexual male, and that you just didn't bother to pay much attention to what the post said. Pot, kettle, black. You're about the last person to accuse someone of making assumptions!

It's back under the bridge for you too.
Boy, (or should that be Girl?) you're easy. You took the bait hook, line and sinker.

What makes you so sure Maria is a female?
1. Isn't Maria just a screen name, id or handle?
2. Could be a last name...
3. Could be a guy posing as a female, in hopes of getting more replies and cordial treatment.
4. Could be a first name with a different pronunciation, or simply a "Boy named Sue".

You apparently have trouble with people pointing out things you may have over looked.

Postby uhtu » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:48 pm

i like flinging things as much as the next guy or girl...

but can we let this one go, folks? that'd be super.

Postby ccie4526 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:09 pm

i like flinging things as much as the next guy or girl...

but can we let this one go, folks? that'd be super.
Hehehehe, methinks this is an uhtuism for everyone to STFU. ;)

Postby uhtu » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:39 pm

i'm more than comfortable with the STFU-stick. i just like rational conversations (all historical evidence notwithstanding.)
usenet is still out there somewhere if you need to go flex your flamesuit :-)

26 posts • Page 2 of 2

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”