KisMAC

The gear needed for wardriving

24 posts • Page 2 of 2

Postby wigle_me » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:19 pm

You guys are hilarious.. you don't want to help out the guy trying to crack a close network, but you all seem to be very capable of doing it... I guess you pick up on that when you are counting networks...

you guys are a bunch of freaks...

Postby ax0n » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:39 pm

I think I already made it clear how I learned to crack WEP. I certainly didn't do it while counting networks. I tried cracking my own network and it took almost a week of gathering packets from just normal daily use (which included a few spurts of high-bandwidth traffic)

Definitely not something you're going to do efficiently while driving around town. Honestly, most of the guys who post here are adults with families and jobs, who pay for their own legitimate Internet access at home, and we happen to count networks while we drive around. Some of us are avid travelers that make our way all over the U.S. I used to deliver pizza 4-6 nights a week, and that got me a lot of points. Now I just stumble whenever I'm driving about.

Honestly, I don't have the need to crack a WEP key for anything, I just was curious how to do it, and I didn't go whining to a forum about how I wanted to break into my neighbor's wireless when I was curious. Actually when I started doing this, I was the only one in my apartment complex with WiFi so it's not like there was any peripheral benefit to learning how, other than to satiate my own curiosity.

As a professional network security consultant, it's also my job to know how to do these things. Being able to demonstrate it to a client (who has given me permission to use their network) is a powerful sales tool. It really opens their eyes up to the importance of WPA, even if it's the punier PSK standard.

Also, even if there are some among us who have in the past, or still do illegally access networks, we choose not to discuss the issue here. Just as talk of illegal activities like drugs, street racing, and DUI isn't tolerated on some of the car-centered websites I'm on, talk of illegal access is taboo here.

Thus, I'm saying "I don't do that", and there are plenty like me who do not do anything illegal while tallying networks. I can't (and don't pretend to) speak for everyone, but I don't need to. Talking about illegal activities gets you banned. I'm not an administrator, I don't own or even help run this place. I simply contribute. As such, I can tell you that a forum run by someone else, on someone else's resources doesn't qualify as a venue for "free speech" and censorship IS viable in a situation like this.

All I can say is that you should probably quit pushing the issue. It's been discussed many times before, and I'm doubting that the admins will have a change of heart anytime soon.

Postby themacuser » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:52 am

By the way, KisMAC, while great for stumbling, leaves much to be desired for cracking. All WEP cracking methods aside from brute force require gathering a huge sum of weak packets. Weak packets are naturally very rare, but they occur.

The methods for speeding up WEP cracking involve finding a way to increase the frequency which the weak packets occur. This process in and of itself still requires a good number of weak packets to get started, but can dramatically speed up the acquisition of weak packets once you get it going.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out what the method is called and what tools are best for the job. I can tell you that KisMAC might be capable of it, but that it's certainly not remotely close to being the right program for what you're trying to do.
It HAS packet reinjection. It's primitive, but it works. You need a prism2 card. I think you mis-understand about a few things. KisMac uses AirCrack internally, so it's not really any worse than aircrack. (sometimes you need a higher fudge factor, but that can be set in the "Advanced" preferences pane).

All wep cracking tools besides brute-forcing need a large number of packets. Weak IV packets are no longer required with the invention of the KoreK attacks - AirCrack implements these. You just need a large number of packets.

Here is the wrong place to ask about how to crack WEP. I'm not going to tell you because I don't support anyone cracking networks that aren't theirs. I will tell you however, that there is a video tutorial out there on doing it with KisMac. Anything you do after reading this is your own fault, and I, or any of the other members of WiGLE are in any way responsible for what you do.

Postby NomadicHan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:19 pm

I've watched the video and followed it exactly. I followed it very carefully. I even tried using the same version of KisMAC in the video. I have a prism2 usb.

People have said they've acquired network passes with less than 10,000 weak IVs using weak scheduling attacks. I've acquired 300,000 weak IVs (done by leaving my computer on for two days or more because packet reinjection doesn't seem to do anything) and tried such an attack, but it just went on trying many many keys.

At this point I've given up. The methods that seem to work for everyone else, don't work for me. I've looked around the net and have asked in other places, but I've come to the conclusion that something is wrong with the network or I'm horribly bad at this.

I don't really want to hear any of your sob stories about cracking a network. If I shouldn't post here about such things, just go ahead and ignore my post. If it really bugs you, contact the administrator.

Postby hratch » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:57 am

Wardriving is counting networks, not connecting to networks.

Hahaha, right. All you do is count networks when wardriving. Never with the intention of connecting to them.
Driving too fast and am usually sleeping at the time with no time to associate, NomadicHan

Postby ax0n » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:17 am

Wardriving is counting networks, not connecting to networks.

Hahaha, right. All you do is count networks when wardriving. Never with the intention of connecting to them.
Driving too fast and am usually sleeping at the time with no time to associate, NomadicHan
No way. I don't believe you. You've stopped, associated with, and cracked the wep of all half-million+ networks you've found. I just know you have. :lol:

I'm in it for the points, so are a lot of us. I'm also in it to see the ratio of security conscious users to sheep, and have noticed WEP/WPA being the default more and more. Linksys routers prompt you to encrypt your network when you first install it, and SBC/Yahoo 2Wire routers are WEP out of the box.

HRatch is right though. There's no way most of us have time to stop and use a network, much less sit there and crack it.

Postby bobfunland » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:05 pm

No way. I don't believe you. You've stopped, associated with, and cracked the wep of all half-million+ networks you've found. I just know you have. :lol:
I don't think he has to stop, he uses the high gain dish antennas mounted on his vehicle to crack on the fly! :shock:

Postby stodwa » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:33 pm

Why there is no Unique IVs or Data Packets on the right side of the KisMac screen?

Postby Cain » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:00 pm

hi, im very new to this whole thing.

iv had an interest in hacking for a while, not to do anything, just to get in. and iv always asked permission or used my own networks.

just got a D-Link DWL-G122 and have only realy used cain and abel, and toyed a little with Wireshark.

im using a black macbook, and have just downloaded Kismac.
obviously it couldnt be that simple, and after spending all day going through websites and forums, found a copy with the DWL-G122 compiled into it so that the USB PrismII adaptor works out.

now, iv only been playing with this program for a little while, and im not to sure about reinjection etc... but think i get the gist of deauthentification from cain.

but yea, iv been capturing packets for over an hour now.
75000 normal packets, and about 626 data and unique Iv's, however 0 inj. Packets. and so i dont see an effect with any of the features. and im guessing its the inj Packets means that reinjection wont work?

i have permission for the hack, and i know the password, but am having trouble getting there.

also found other compiles of kismac, for the macbook itself, so was also wondering if i would need a version of Kismac between both the macbook, and the DWL-G122.

also, if i run reinjection, i simply get a "waiting for Interesting Packet" and then doesnt changes.... and no effect on packets.

any and all help would be greatly apprieciated.

sorry about the spelling.
thanks

24 posts • Page 2 of 2

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”