CNN: Man charged with stealing Wi-Fi signal

General wireless news

12 posts • Page 1 of 1
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (AP) -- Police have arrested a man for using someone else's wireless Internet network in one of the first criminal cases involving this fairly common practice.

Benjamin Smith III, 41, faces a pretrial hearing this month following his April arrest on charges of unauthorized access to a computer network, a third-degree felony.

Full Story: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/07/wi.fi ... index.html

It's not like we didn't know this was illegal, and with the extreme number of businesses out here offering free WiFi for customers, it's kind of pointless to use an unauthorized AP. At least here in Kansas. You'd figure Florida would be the same way.

Feel free to comment.[/url]

Postby uhtu » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:50 pm

that's why the harmless hobby of wardriving - which just records public beacons that are part of the functioning system - is distinct from any actual use (theft or otherwise) of the network itself, and why good hobbists don't use networks they don't have permission to (yaaay freenets!)

Postby chaffed » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:07 am

Also, related to the article the county sheriff is quoted as saying "cantennas" (famous pringles antennas) are ilegal :roll:

Le sigh, we war drivers need to relize two things. One, the individual is smart. Two, people are dumb. (Thanks Tommy Lee Jones).

While we understand the clear division here. The public does not.

They see us as digirotty running around stealing their "private" information. While this is a case of one over stepping the unwritten rule. However like my previous point, the public can't see the difference. There for, all war drivers, in the court of public opinion (read fear, panic and ignorance), are guilty of the same crime as this gentleman.

How do we absolve ourselves of this ire? We attempt to educate the public. Easier said than done.

Postby arkasha » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:48 pm

Yeah. It's been a long battle toward educating the public at-large... and sometimes I get frustrated. Nut we'll keep fighting the good fight. My grandma asked me how hackers use pringles cans the other day. *grin* People are becoming more aware of the security risks of wireless, but it's up to us to explain to them what they can do to secure their networks and their information, rather than falling prey to all the sensationalist F.U.D.

Postby poacher » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:09 pm

Also, related to the article the county sheriff is quoted as saying "cantennas" (famous pringles antennas) are ilegal :roll:
Are dishes and helix's legal is it only waveguide antennas that are banned? Or is it the "pringles" aspect of the device that makes it such a danger to the public? :?:

Postby argh » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 pm

as far as i know, all types of antennas are basically legal. exceptions might be if you are transmitting with it and you exceed maximum legal emissions or else uninformed local laws.

Postby poacher » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:05 am

as far as i know, all types of antennas are basically legal. exceptions might be if you are transmitting with it and you exceed maximum legal emissions or else uninformed local laws.

Surely such black arts as the Log periodic are banned in all civilized countries?

Postby argh » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:04 pm

log periodics are cool, they maintain gain and pattern across the widest bandspread of any antenna type. like, you know, a TV antenna....

Postby poacher » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:29 pm

log periodics are cool, they maintain gain and pattern across the widest bandspread of any antenna type. like, you know, a TV antenna....
Talking like could get you tried for witchcraft in some states. Its all round safer to stick with a Hertzian dipole. :wink:

Postby argh » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:27 am

ahh, 468/(freq in Mhz) never hurt anybody.

Postby themacuser » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:48 am

Strictly speaking, if you built it yourself, yes it is, under FCC regulations.

Postby i_do_dew » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:11 pm

Strictly speaking, if you built it yourself, yes it is, under FCC regulations.
I do hope you meant that if you build it yourself and are not licensed, be it amateur or otherwise, it is illegal.

But I do believe that if you can prove that you were never going to transmit with it, anyone can build a receiving antenna. The trick with that would be to find a type accepted wifi card without transmit capability, eg receive only. Or you can get your ham ticket, which should be easy if you are building antennas.

Also remember that he has been charged, but not convicted. there is a big difference there. Last I looked in this country we are innocent until PROVEN guilty. when that changes I shall try to become a citizen of the Principality of Sealand.

EDIT: After thinking about it for a moment, I don't believe that antennas need to be type accepted. Just the equipment you are attaching it to. It is the responsibility of the person attaching the antenna to make sure that the system meets the requirements and radiation limits for the device and environment.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Wireless News”