Any reason to upload without GPS?

Talk about whatever

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby pengd0t » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:48 pm

I uploaded the NetStumbler files I generated from a few states, but I have no GPS yet... I hadn't thought about just how useless that information must be now, is there any reason at all to upload networks to the database without any coordinates?
I'd think that I'm just wasting a small bit of server space with useless junk, so I'll just stop until the GPS comes unless any of you can tell me a benefit to these mystery location networks.

Postby Dutch » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:15 pm

I uploaded the NetStumbler files I generated from a few states, but I have no GPS yet... I hadn't thought about just how useless that information must be now, is there any reason at all to upload networks to the database without any coordinates?
I'd think that I'm just wasting a small bit of server space with useless junk, so I'll just stop until the GPS comes unless any of you can tell me a benefit to these mystery location networks.
It is beneficial, even though wardriving without a gps, has been likened to dryhumping the promqueen.. ;)

If at a later date someone logs the same networks with a gps attached, you will get credit for them in the "Discovered networks with gps" column on the stats page.
So by all means, go ahead and upload any networks you detect, even without the gps. And then remember to redrive the same routes when you get that gps purchased.

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]
It is beneficial, even though wardriving without a gps, has been likened to dryhumping the promqueen.. ;)
Still, nice work if you can get it ;-)

Postby pengd0t » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:34 am

Ah, I see...
Well does it try to post the networks to 0 x 0 or anything odd like that that could mess something up?

Postby bobzilla » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:28 pm

Internally yes, they go to 0,0 which is a dead zone and ignored, where they wait for more data to locate them. They're useful for all the other stats that are run, however, and come up in searches.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”