the new gpsd? kismet.

Talk about whatever

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby mrmeebles » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:37 pm

I recently switched to Debian testing from etch. I noticed that gpsd wasn't letting kismet connect, then it was but it wasn't working.

I downgraded the version of gpsd and it worked fine. (thought the second time gpsd took up 99.9% of system resources).

In regards to the newer version, I noticed that the -p option wasn't available in the newer version. I tried simply gpsd (-f) /dev/ttyUSB0. Is anybody using the newer gpsd with the 2007.10.r1 Kismet?

Has anybody started using the Kismet newcore?

cheers.

Postby argh » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:44 am

I've been using Debian Sid for kismet for a year, and it works very well. I'm currently running gpsd 2.36 I don't use any switches other than the device name. I've been using 2007.10.r1 since it came out. I been playing around with newcore at home, but I haven't taken it out yet.

Postby Dutch » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Newcore isn't ready for primetime just yet (primetime defined as in "use with wigle"), since the log formats haven't yet been finalized according to dragorn. They might change before first official release.
I'm looking forward to its release though, since newcore is more adaptable.

As for gpsd and kismet, I still recommend the old forked version based on the gpsd 1.x series, that was included in gpsdrive 2.09. I still think the new gpsd 2.x series default behaviour of switching receivers into binary mode, and then translate that into NMEA sentences is stupid, when the standard setup of receivers generally is to supply NMEA natively.
If you need to use your GPS receiver for stuff like timesource for NTPD, or similiar, by all means use the 2.x series GPSD, but for plain wardriving, and navigation usage, the NMEA only capable gpsd from the old gpsdrive package is enough, uses less ressources, and has fewer dependencies.

So for me, the old forked version just plain works. And have worked with all the receivers I've thrown at it. IIAB,DFI (If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It).

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby argh » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:10 pm

I didn't know about the log formats, I have had logging disabled in my dabbling with it. Thanks for the tip on gpsd, I knew that many were using the older version, I didn't know about the differences. As I usually use old hardware for wardriving, less resource use is always better!

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”