Mapping MiFi or Mobile 3G/4G/WiFi Hotspots?

Talk about whatever

7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I've recently started scanning for WiFi APs with Wardriver on my Android phone. It's pretty easy and it's interesting just how many WiFi AP's are out there. Recently I've come across some SSID's that indicate that they are MiFi access points or phones that are also providing a WiFi AP. That means that they are just in someone's car or pocket or whatever and always moving.

What does the community think about mapping those? They are going to be in a different location all the time.

Cheers.
To map mifi points and phones that provide wifi would be pointless as there always on the move.
It's going to happen. I'm not going out to purposely map them, but I'm also not going to go attempt to manually cull my data before uploading . . .

The programmers for Wigle are more than competent enough to filter it, if it ever becomes a real issue, etc.

Thanks for everyone's work on Wigle & WarDriving in general ;)
but what is MI-FI ?
Tethering. An access point that is not usually tied to a wall power outlet. An access point that is expected to move often, from the house, park, work, restaurant, etc...
I too had been wondering what you were meaning by Mi-Fi. It was good to learn more about it and how it differs from Wi-Fi on the fact that it doesn’t involve a wall power outlet. Anyway, if that is the case, I don’t think mapping Mi-Fi would be possible due to the mobility factor.
"ALL IS WELL"
At first glance it doesnt seem worthwhile to map mobile hotspots but i think it would be interesting to see a map of the "average position" of any said mobile hotspot. Some ppl only travel from home to work and to a few areas as close to home as possible...if we looked at a map of MIFIs from a high position and not zoomed in perhaps some interesting patterns would develope
At first glance it doesnt seem worthwhile to map mobile hotspots but i think it would be interesting to see a map of the "average position" of any said mobile hotspot. Some ppl only travel from home to work and to a few areas as close to home as possible...if we looked at a map of MIFIs from a high position and not zoomed in perhaps some interesting patterns would develope
Here in the Phoenix AZ area a lot of the city buses have wifi on-board and so do a lot of the local tour buses. I logged the wifi while onboard the Norwegian EPIC cruise ship back in December so it shows up in a LOT of places from my WigleWiFi Android files. :)

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”