Observation List

Talk about whatever

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby woltsman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:46 pm

A couple of months ago, it was possible to bring up the complete list of observations over time in the query for location data for a single network. For some reason or another, I have either forgotten hot to do this or it no longer works.

As a demonstration for my class, I could then convert the data to a kml file, and plot the observations on a map using Google Earth. Especially interesting was plotting the data before and after the particular access point was moved from one place to another in the building.

Is there still a way to bring up this observation list?

Thanks,

Mark

Postby bobzilla » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:22 am

Aye, the query page still has the "Query for location data of a single network" form.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby woltsman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:00 am

Aye, the query page still has the "Query for location data of a single network" form.
Bobzilla,

Thank you for your reply. This is the method I was using to obtain the individual observations. However, now, it only returns one line of data only containing the final triangulations.

As an example, the wifi access point located in the laboratory next to the classroom is the wolmnet with Mac address of 00:16:B6:9C:DF:A3 when the Mac address is entered into the "Query for location data of a single netowork" is returning only a single line of data containing the triangulations. However, there should be around five years of data points. (Did I mention that given that many data points that your triangulation algorithm is accurate in this case to within just a few meters of the real location? In the case of woltsnet, it is accurate to within a meter.)

I use the data points as an exercise for the students to generate an algorithm, either graphical on paper or mathematical to locate the beacon. Obviously yours takes into account the inverse square law as do the best ones. I have even had students come in with these antennas that resemble Pringles cans and do real triangulation with multiple angles--those guys are quite accurate. Otherwise, so far no one has beat your calculations using omnidirectional antennas without actual access to school property.

It would be nice to have access to the actual data points. But, even without them, the kids still have a lot of fun.

Thanks again,

Mark

Postby uhtu » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 am

i see what you're seeing (or, not seeing as the case happens to be.)
this may be related to supposed-to-be-unrelated changes i made recently.
we'll have a look.

Postby woltsman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks!

Postby uhtu » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 pm

this has been fixed. sorry for the delay (and the outage)

-uhtu

Postby woltsman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:14 am

It is working great. Thank you!

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”