Questions questions everywhere . . .

Talk about whatever

4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am completely new to war-driving so please go easy on the responses. I am moving into a new career in IT Security and I am keen to use Wigle to find Wifi APs that are potentially vulnernable to hackers.

I've installed Wigle on my smartphone and walked around the city. Wigle recorded some data. I uploaded it to the Wigle site and the wifi APs now show on the map. The uploading bit I fully understood how to do, but quite what Wigle was doing while I was war-walking was completely baffling. You see, when I went war-walking, Wigle seemed to have a mind of its own.

(1) When I pressed "Play" it started at Run 41 (or some number),then a few moments later inexplicably stopped Run 41 and jumped to Run 44 or something (not the next one in sequence which would be Run 42). Why would it have done this?

(2) A voice kept coming out the phone yelling something at me. This is not very helpful when your trying to be covert. Is there a settings tab where I can switch that sort of thing on and off permanently?

(3) Trivial point, but when I pressed "Play" it started picking up APs. Good, that is the whole point, but perhaps the phrases"Start Wardriving", "Start Recording" or "Start Detecting" might be better labels to use. "Play" is a bit misleading. It suggests its playing back something you have already recorded and this made me wonder if I was doing the right thing. At one point, I wondered if the voice was playing back the data from a previous "Run".

Other questions:

Is the local database in the smartphone itself?

How is the run data recorded in the database? When we say database are we talking about:

(1) A relational DB with dozens of indexed tables, foreign keys, inner joins, outer joins etc,
(2) A database of just one table that adds APs as a single record?
(3) A database of several tables of identical structure, where each table corresponds to a "Run"?[/list]

How can I manage (review/delete) "Runs" from within the smartphone application - or can I only do it using my laptop?

On the browsable map of the world page:

I appreciate that much if not all of the work for Wigle app and website is done in the US (and you are to be applauded for that) but can the browsable map of the world page be set up so that it is geo-neutral, the same way Google Maps is? For instance, can the map page be set-up such that it detects the users location (for example, UK, Germany, Indonesia) and centres the map there, instead of centring on Chicago by default?

For instance, I am currently in Bali. It is a nuisance that:

(1) I cannot enter Bali as a search term in the browsable map of the world page (or any other non-US address for that matter, apparently).
(2) I have to manually scroll around to the other side of the world from Chicago to get to Bali. This is infuriatingly fiddly and time consuming.

Thanks. All constructive replies welcome.
When you get the webmap to your area you can save it as your default. It is up in the upper right hand corner of the menu. That should help a lot.

Keep stumbling.
The wigle android app is highly deterministic, but if you're looking to get into serious network survey you are going to want to broaden your field of research on tools.

"Play" is a toggle between "Mute" and "Play" (as in, play sounds)
(1) Run: x is the current number of networks observed this time the app has been run
(2) push "Mute" or use the volume controls on your android device. also lol covert.
(3) see (2)

in order:

by virtue of being local: "yes"
using insert.
(1)

"runs" aren't kept in that sense, unless you do your own exporting/sequencing, see above.
all the data is in sqlite, and those tables are trivialy exportable to other devices.

chicago is my kind of town, but see AZ_WD'ers point.

also lol constructive, you *are* new here.
:D

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”