Print maps using CTRL-P Now fails.

Talk about whatever

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby 32894156 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:30 pm

For months, I have been printing out maps of areas using the CTRL-P function of my computer. (Print screen; Chrome, WIndows 7). Within the last few weeks, that stopped working. I have now tried MS Internet Explorer; same failure mode. I think Wigle.net has done something to muck it up. Can anybody tell me how YOU print the map?
We've not really played with printing anything before, but looks like the tiles don't show for me in Chrome or Firefox on OSX, but do in Safari. Arkasha is seeing tiles for Chrome and Firefox on OSX though. So seems to browser or machine specific.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit
Well perhaps so, but as I pointed out in a private email to you, the CTRL-P (print screen) function still works in the Tools tab, as well as Stats, or Info, or Uploads. Just not in the Map function of View, and it worked quite well in Map for 3+ months. It sure sounds like you must have done something.
It's just the map tiles not printing, which is mostly javascript from google, so yes, other pages would be unaffected. It's possible google changed something, or something changed on your machine. Either way we're unlikely to spend any more time debugging it since it's doubtful many folks try to print out the web page, unless we hear otherwise.
I don't understand why you suggest that few people print out maps. I have found that's virtually essential. I have never had much luck with the "map" function on the Android. The maps either expand and are unreadable, or I can only see a tiny fraction of the area that I will want to scan. With the printed map, I can carefully plan what I intend to do, in a distant area that is essentially unreadable in my Android map.
If I had a screen that was 12 inches diagonal, things would be different. But it's not.
We've not really played with printing anything before, but looks like the tiles don't show for me in Chrome or Firefox on OSX, but do in Safari. Arkasha is seeing tiles for Chrome and Firefox on OSX though. So seems to browser or machine specific.
Well, now I have tried printing maps on "Machine A" with both Chrome and Firefox browser. Windows 7 laptop. Doesn't work on both.
I have also tried printing maps on "Machine B", Chrome and MS Internet Explorer browser. Windows 7 laptop. Still doesn't work on both.

Look, I am one of your most productive contributors. I have added nearly 180,000 AP's since May 5, 2015. Very very few have done it faster than that. I am very much inconvenienced by the lack of map-printing ability. I want to work with you to identify the problem.
It's just the map tiles not printing, which is mostly javascript from google, so yes, other pages would be unaffected. It's possible google changed something, or something changed on your machine. Either way we're unlikely to spend any more time debugging it since it's doubtful many folks try to print out the web page, unless we hear otherwise.
You have previously suggested that not many people must have been printing out the maps. I wonder how this could have been true.
For example, and for purposes of concreteness, suppose I am talking about scanning an area of, say, 20 by 20 city blocks. That's a lot of area. Suppose further I've covered most of it earlier,, but there are many dozen street-segments which have been missed, usually by accident. At home, when I look at the map on the screen of my laptop, these omissions and their locations are quite obvious. When I was able to print out the screen and thus the maps, these omitted street segments were likewise quite easy to find on the printed-out map. I could, therefore, take those printed-out maps with me, navigate to those omitted segments, and scan them properly on the road.
But suppose I cannot take my laptop with me, and I cannot print out the map of this region. The Android does not, as far as I can tell, generate an on-screen "map" of all the AP's as they have been previously found: The Android merely draws a map of the streets, and only displays the "new" and the "found" APs. I cannot tell, even a block away, which nearby streets haven't been previously scanned before.

This leads me to wonder: How DOES a person visit an area, find many dozen omissions that appear on his laptop screen at home, but without the ability to print out a paper map? This is really a mystery to me! See, I got very used to being able to print out the map; I really don't know how to do things any differently. And thus, I want to know how someone else deals with that.

What am I missing?
I looked into it for a few hours, was able to get a google map to show (without our overlay images, and only if the browser window is tiny) by reducing the minimum size. Tried many other things, haven't gotten it to work. Firefox, Chrome and Opera are unhappy. Safari on osx seems to work well, if you have a machine to run that on. Otherwise you could look into getting an old version of safari for windows (they don't release for windows anymore) which may work for you. You can also always do a "print screen" and print the resulting screenshot. I don't imagine many people print much of anything anymore, no one else has ever brought it up in 14 years of running the site.
I looked into it for a few hours, was able to get a google map to show (without our overlay images, and only if the browser window is tiny) by reducing the minimum size. Tried many other things, haven't gotten it to work. Firefox, Chrome and Opera are unhappy. Safari on osx seems to work well, if you have a machine to run that on. Otherwise you could look into getting an old version of safari for windows (they don't release for windows anymore) which may work for you. You can also always do a "print screen" and print the resulting screenshot. I don't imagine many people print much of anything anymore, no one else has ever brought it up in 14 years of running the site.
I'm confused by your statement, "You can also always do a "print screen" and print the resulting screenshot. " The only thing I know how to do is to press CTRL-P, and then print to the printer, but THAT is the thing that isn't working anymore. Maybe you are describing something else that I don't yet know how to do. Could you describe it in greater detail?
I just mean taking a screenshot, then printing the resulting image. If you're on windows looks like this might explain: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-8
I just mean taking a screenshot, then printing the resulting image. If you're on windows looks like this might explain: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-8
I press the "prt sc" button, and nothing happens. I also try pressing CTRL, and while pressing, press prt sc. Still nothing.
I press fn and then "prt sc", and nothing happens. I also try pressing "ALT", and while pressing, press prt sc. Still nothing.
I am using Windows 7

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”