Who the heck drew a spiral?!?!

Talk about whatever

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Andrew900460 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:56 pm

I'm looking on the wigle map. And I notice an oddly "circular" area with wifi activity that caught my eye. I zoom in and it's literally a spiral of wifi dots!
But the satellite data shows it's just above trees. No roads or anything resembling a spiral. I go on google maps to see if maybe there is any difference in the satellite images. Still nothing, just trees.

I zoom in on the wifi dots and they all have SSID's of "Spiralxxx" with an incremental number given to each dot!!! Which told me that this was intentional. And I would take a wild guess and say that someone probably had a drone with some wifi device that was programmed to take a flight course, and also change its wifi SSID, and then upload the data to wigle. Can't say for sure, but how else would it happen in the middle of a forest.

lat,long = 39.3817,-74.6609

It seems like the spiral was drawn somewhere in 2014 maybe, so quite a while ago. And I did a forum search to see if anyone talked about spirals, doesn't seem like it. So Idk if anyone else actually noticed this!
Quite interesting.

Noticing this also makes me wonder if this concept has some connection to past incidents in the news where drones would be found flying over people's houses, or in very weird formations. It's just people trying to pick up other people's wifi's. Kinda intrusive, but yea.
I think it's pretty obvious nobody was ever there if you look at the data. It's intentional vandalism. Pretty cool looking though. :lol:

Postby ecramp » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:03 pm

I suspect that someone was playing with a drone just to see what the results were ... clearly the results were not good so either they quit this or they fixed the problems and now just fly their drones over the roads. It's interesting looking at the detection around airports, take a look at the Atlanta airport - several straight lines to and from the runways.
There's no way anyone was ever there. Look at the RSSI levels, MACs and altitudes with the advanced search tool. :lol:

Postby pejacoby » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 pm

There are a variety of intentional shapes in the maps, not sure there is a good way to find them other than browsing about, but I have found smiley faces and even a swastika from what appeared to be very planned runs...

Postby arkasha » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:43 pm

eep. love the spiral, not so keen on hate symbols.
if you see anyone using the platform in a spiteful way, please do report it to us.
We certainly can't review this volume of data by hand, so pointers/coordinates are appreciated.

Postby pejacoby » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:39 pm

Looks like I posted about it in 2006 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=914

At the time:
http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/online ... 2216796876

I revised to the new map URL format and browsed about but don't see it anymore, may have been obscured by positive-energy-dots over time.
https://wigle.net/map?maplat=44.9837709 ... ng=density

Postby deltaray » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Wild. I know this is an older post, but just saw it now. I was actually in that area on a trip, about 4 miles away from that spiral on the day you posted this, although I see it was made in 2014. Next time I'm in that area I'll have to drive next to it. I was driving around the area so much that it felt like a spiral. :D

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”