2 Newbie Questions NS File Names Upload to Wigle + GPS

Talk about whatever

3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi,

New to this whole Wardriving/Wigle thing, but trying to learn and enjoying the heck out of it, as is my copilot in Wardriving and life, my lovely wife.

I have 2 questions:

1. When I finish a "drive" I rename my Netstumbler files to the start and finish points of my drive. (Leaving the file extension alone). After uploading my first files to Wigle early this morning, I got to wondering, would my renaming of the files be a problem? I searched the FAQ and did not see an answer.

2. Will be getting a GPS in a few weeks. Can a GPS grab the Lat/Lon as you are moving at speeds of 40-70 MPH? I assume the faster the speed the less accuracy, but must you come to a stop for the GPS to read that at all?

Appreciate any help. I must say there ae some very smart people here and over at the NS forums. But, just between you, me and the fence post I am a little scared posting at NS. :shock: Only did it a couple of times, read every FAQ, the part on asking smart questions, etc. I didn't get flamed, got my answers, but I was a nervous wreck for a couple of hours. :D

Thanks in advance,

Harvey
hbest

Postby electrojc » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:21 am

1) As long as you use php friendly characters in your files you should be ok, just keep it alphanumeric with - and _ and you'll be fine. Although there is not much use in renaming them because wiggle only show the last 20 uploads.

2) GPS works by trilaterating your position in space (surface of the earth) by comparing the pseudo-random code received from the satellite to the one running in the GPS's processor (which is periodically synchronized) from 3 or more of the 27 orbiting GPS satellites. Better units have multiple receivers, so they can pick up signals from several satellites simultaneously, rather than multiplexing one receiver. Radio waves are electromagnetic energy, which means they travel at the speed of light (about 186,000 miles per second, 300,000 km per second in a vacuum). So for all intensive purposes at ground speeds you won't have a problem. Remember this is the same stuff they use to guide missiles in to someone’s back yard.

What you should be more worried about (not a big deal but worth some consideration) is the fact that most AP's only broadcast their SSID once ever second or so. And if you’re traveling at 70 miles an hour, about .02 miles a second you could easily pass up an AP if you just skim it's coverage area.

Postby hbest » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:57 am

Hi,

Sorry all for the duplicate post. I sometimes have "stutter" finger.

The reason I rename the NS files is just so I can look at them after I/we get home, so the name I give them is just really to help me. I think my names will be ok, I assume if they are not, Wigle will just kick them out?

The GPS info is much appreciated. I kinda assumed the GPS would not have a problem, buy I just wasn't sure. As far as AP's are concerned, I am amazed at how many we see passing a sub division while on I64 W/E while at 60-70 MPH. A lot of times we do this to kill time as we travel to and from a Church I work at on Sundays that is about 2 hours away.

Thanks again for the info!

Harvey

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”