War Rocketing...

Talk about whatever

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby pejacoby » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:34 pm

What fun, another vehicle for collecting ;-)

Brief blip from DefCon on SecurityFocus

Postby NetBandit » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:57 am

Has anyone done WarKiteing (sp) yet?

-NB

Postby KH » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:06 am

From the article:
Unsurprisingly, the rocket only detected two other networks. The two smaller rockets--one of which was launched in a rural area--found 3 access points in the sparsely populated area and 7 networks in near the college town of Charlottesville, VA.
The rockets were built for less than $1,000 in total, and each launch cost $35 for the smaller rockets and $200 for the larger one.
And here people complain about the gas prices for wardriving ;)

Postby i_do_dew » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:32 am

What amuses me is what people are willing to pay for water from a bottle while complaining about gas prices, when tap water is close to free and there is no garuntee you are getting anything but filtered tap water in the bottle.

Postby themacuser » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:06 am

Has anyone done WarKiteing (sp) yet?

-NB
Not yet... my WAP54G is the 2MB model (and can't fit Kismet on it), and one the fibreglass rods in my kite is broken.

Postby whitedice » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:12 am

Gas has amazingly dropped to $2.13 here... (northeast cincinnati).

Makes me wanna go for a drive.

Postby i_do_dew » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:49 am

war rocketing could be good if you wanted to map the AP's in a highrise. You just need a big rocket(tm) to hold the GPS, the linksys, and a high gain antenna to flatten out the disc that is the reception patern then you can use wigle like software to average the floor position of the AP's based on signal strength!

--- yes I am bored this evening. I need to get my GPS replaced so I can go driving again.

Postby themacuser » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:48 am

war rocketing could be good if you wanted to map the AP's in a highrise. You just need a big rocket(tm) to hold the GPS, the linksys, and a high gain antenna to flatten out the disc that is the reception patern then you can use wigle like software to average the floor position of the AP's based on signal strength!

--- yes I am bored this evening. I need to get my GPS replaced so I can go driving again.
I can't really see that working. The rocket would fly past too fast to be accurate...

Maybe a helicopter? WRT54G kismet drone on a model helicopter :)

Postby Tech^CF » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:32 pm

Maybe a helicopter? WRT54G kismet drone on a model helicopter :)
I have a $100 electric model helicopter here, but it won't lift my WRTSL54GS with built-in GPS. But with a gasoline 60cm helicopter or bigger it would be very doable. Not sure about noise from the engine & remote control, but it would propably not interfere. A voltage-regulator/upconverter may be needed and propably some scotch tape :P

Postby themacuser » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:23 pm

Shame. The AP isn't that heavy is it?

A small model helicopter would be nice though.

Noise from engine/remote - not going to interfere - probably will produce nothing in the 2.4GHZ band...

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”