WiFiWhere 1.0 for iPhone on app store

The frontpage news bits

17 posts • Page 1 of 2
Three Jacks has released their iPhone stumbling package, WiFi-Where, on the Apple app store. We've been very impressed with it, and it has an "upload to WiGLE" button, which is awesome. Check it out!

Postby Tech^CF » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Great! Have been waiting for direct Wigle upload in WiFiFoFum for soo long. Have been mailing myself and then uploading. This is a much better solution.

Bought it, just took it for a quick test. Has some problems like hard to get to search / upload buttons when internet sharing is active (the tap to search bar is covering the buttons due to the internet sharing notification bar on the top of the screen pressing it down) and some design issues. I hope version 1.0 will have more appleish design.

Well worth the money!

Also noticed it has the current position displayed. Great :)

Postby GutmaNn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:57 am

Using it on my Iphone well worth the money. I used to use wififofum on the iPhone but this is much better as u can upload straight to Wigle using your phone. Love it!!

Postby Tech^CF » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 pm

29 uploads from WiFi-Where, 6 failed. Hasn't nailed it down yet. Suspect long SSIDs or accented/nordic characters (like æøå). Or just not correct ns1 format.

Postby arkasha » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:57 am

I've noticed the same thing, linked it to the very cause you have suggested, Tech^CF (since I can see what our parser says when it breaks). I notified the creator of this as soon as I discovered it, and we anxiously await his revisions! As a stop-gap, I've been emailing myself the CSV files, which work flawlessly, and uploading those. Not quite as convenient as just pushing a button, but ok for now.

Cheers,

Postby york2600 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:24 am

I've had the same issue in some of my larger uploads to Wigle. I got around it by turning off the auto delete after upload feature. Then after you upload you can check to see if there were errors and if so just mail yourself the CSV. The app obvious has a few, bugs but overall it works great.

Postby bknowles » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:46 am

So far, I've posted just one upload, of 300+ APs. My only problem was that it automatically assumed I wanted to post them as "Anonymous", so when I re-posted them using my correct WiGLE account name, I didn't get credit for finding any new APs.

So far, so good. I can't wait to play with both of these things some more!

Postby wifiwhere » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:08 am

A new version of WiFi-Where is now available on the App Store. This new version includes the following changes:

- Added several more filtering options.
- All networks now saved to database. Filtering options are only used to filter what is shown in scanning list.
- When changing filtering options, hotspots are no longer deleted.
- (NEW) WiFi-Where keeps track of the distance traveled while scanning.
- Changed MIME type of CSV and KML attachments to be application/octet-stream.
- Current IP Address shown in network details if you are connected to that hotspot.
- Hidden networks now displayed with name 'Hidden' instead of MAC address.
- All screens updated to handle double height status bar that is shown when on a phone call or tethered.
- Fixed bug in NS1 file generation that was causing some WiGLE uploads to fail parsing.

Enjoy!

Three Jacks Software
[quote="wifiwhere"]A new version of WiFi-Where is now available on the App Store. This new version includes the following changes:

- Added several more filtering options.
- All networks now saved to database. Filtering options are only used to filter what is shown in scanning list.
- When changing filtering options, hotspots are no longer deleted.
- (NEW) WiFi-Where keeps track of the distance traveled while scanning.
- Changed MIME type of CSV and KML attachments to be application/octet-stream.
- Current IP Address shown in network details if you are connected to that hotspot.
- Hidden networks now displayed with name 'Hidden' instead of MAC address.
- All screens updated to handle double height status bar that is shown when on a phone call or tethered.
- Fixed bug in NS1 file generation that was causing some WiGLE uploads to fail parsing.

Enjoy!

Three Jacks Software[/quote]

Hey! I know I'm posting in an older topic, but I was curious to know where this particular iPad app went off to? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site for download anymore. It seems like a pretty cool & useful app. It's definitely something I'd like to try out. Is WifiWhere perhaps just in app development? Keep me posted, folks! Thanks for letting me ramble on and on. ;)
Check Cydia on a jail-broken iPhone, it recently reappeared there.
Apple arbitrarily banned all wifi scanning apps over a year ago. It's the main reason we made an Android netstumbling app. I like being able to put whatever software I want on my pocket computers. :)
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit
Using it on my Iphone well worth the money. I used to use wififofum on the iPhone but this is much better as u can upload straight to Wigle using your phone. Love it!!
[quote="bobzilla"]Apple arbitrarily banned all wifi scanning apps over a year ago. It's the main reason we made an Android netstumbling app. I like being able to put whatever software I want on my pocket computers. :)[/quote]

Why did they ban these wifi scanning apps? Do you think they have any plans to reverse this decision?

Thanks in advance,

-Jim
Who knows why, it's an arbitrary decision made for their walled garden. I still wish Apple would open up their app store.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit
I would like to know more about (Wireless Geographic Logging Engine ) WiGLE. I have and I phone and would like to install the software in my phone. Could anyone tell me about the system requirements needed to install the app?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “WiGLE Frontpage”